TPG Community

Get online support

Direct connection to NBN Connection Box

NTP09
Level 2

Hi,

I have an NBN HFC connection with the typical black NBN Connection Box, with a ethernet port UNI-D1.  Based on all materials from NBN and other web sources I should be able to directly connect by desktop PC to the NBN box with an ethernet cable.  However when I do this, I do not get any connection.  

The NBN Connection box should be acting as the modem and therefore only require a router to connect wireless internet, however this doesn't work either.  I'm only able to get internet if I connect a modem/router.

Can someone please explain why I'm unable to directly connect my PC to the NBN connection box per all the material that is readily available that says this can be done.

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
Aubrey

Welcome to TPG Community, @NTP09!

The router serves as your authenticating device hence you're able to access the internet when your PC is connected to it. 

You have to setup a PPoE connection on your PC where you have to enter your TPG username and password when you want to connect it directly to the NBN box. Go to Network & Settings > Dial Up > Set up a new connection

Cheers!

Aubrey

NTP09
Level 2

Thanks Aubrey, I should have said I had done that and still get no connection.

I've tried connecting the HFC Connection Box to a router and directly to a desktop PC and am unable to get any internet.  For both set ups I configured the PPoE connection to no avail.

Aubrey

@NTP09 Let's have a closer look at your connection then. Please send your customer ID or username via private message.

Thanks,

Aubrey