TPG Community

Get online support

Disable IPV6 on modem?

rudym
Level 2

HI Team

After some working through with the tech team from Disney, it appears that my new SAGEMCOM FAST 5866T needs to have IPV6 disabled in order to stream Disney Plus - I can see on the device management screens that some devices get IPV4 adn some get IPv6 addresses, how do I disable the IPV6? There does not appear to be a setting I can access to do this.

3 REPLIES 3
BasilDV

Hi @rudym

Thanks for raising this with us.

May we know the make and model of your modem/router? Also, please send me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number to assist you accordingly.

BasilDV

aj321
Level 2

I am having similar issue with SagemCom F@st 5866t; I have already raised a ticket but haven't gotten any solution. 

My issue

1. When I try to cast or mirror videos or photos from my iPhone or Android phone, I don't see any devices in the network. However, I have three google cast receiving devices(nest and a hub) and one TV with built-in Chromecast and Airplay/Homekit service.

I already tried contacting TPG Support. It seems nobody has the answer to this.

I did some research and found out ipV6 is the issue, as I am getting 3-4 IP V6 addresses and an ipv4 address. 

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/airplay-not-working-on-openwrt-19-07-mi-wifi-router-3g/99476/4

I came to this conclusion after taking a long list of troubleshooting myself that involved.

1. Turning off Band Steering, 

2. Isolating 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals naming them separately.

3. turning of WMM and 5GHz.

4. Resetting modem 3-4 times

Finally,

I turned off all the wireless signals (2.4GHz & 5GHz) and added a second router (disabled ipV6), which also has 2.4 and 5 GHz; it worked perfectly fine. 

I am still waiting for someone to fix the issue. It's been almost a week+

shaunf69
Level 2

There's definitely something wrong with either the Sagemcom IPv6 implementation, or the IPv6 configuration of the service itself. Disabling IPv6 on Windows machines speeds up DNS resolution immensly and stops the occassional DNS lookup timeouts.

I noticed in the Sagemcom that the upstream DHCP server is giving the router an IPv4 DNS server address, for the IPv6 DNS forwarders. And the DNS portion of the https://test-ipv6.com/ test fails the IPv6 DNS tests too.

It's a shame this great service (as far as the 5G carrier is concerned) is being hobbled by technical issues related to IPv6 and the Sagemcom bugs itself. I wouldn't mind a firmware update to the latest that TPG has for this router, to see if it's fixing any of these issues. it seems impossible to get.