TPG Community

Get online support

Draytek 286# VDSL2 sync with TPG NBN ?

mpgioia
Level 3

Anyone got a Draytek Vigor 286# (where '#' is '0' . older model, or '2' newer model) to have it's onboard VDSL2 chipset sync with TPG NBN (instead of using the NetComm wireless modem in bridge.. that they ship you).

On latest firmware which provides, both Annex A 574307_571801 and Annex A 573807_571701 code.. Fail to Sync.

Yes... have ensured my 802.1q (ethertype 0x8100) is tagged to '2'...

Generically speaking.. this should work.

http://www.i-helpdesk.com.au/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/678/101/configuring-vigor2860-for.......

Then again, as the NBN NetComm Wireless VDSL modems come with RPU's.. to remotely power the DPU in the street.. I don't think there's any point solidifying this.. as the Draytek modem's won't have RPUs in them.. I don't think many manufacturer's do...

5 REPLIES 5
mpgioia
Level 3
Will

Hi @mpgioia,

You can't connect a modem directly to the phone socket for an FTTC connection. Instead, you need to plug in the NBN NCD (Network Connection Device) which will power up the allocated port in the DPU.

For reference on how to set up an FTTC connection, you may visit this link: NBN FTTC Setup - General Setup

As for the modem, you can use your own provided that it's a VDSL2 NBN-FTTC compatible modem. You need to ensure that the VLAN ID is set to 2 on EWAN. However, the homephone service will not work using a 3rd party modem.

Regards,

mpgioia
Level 3

@Will wrote:

However, the homephone service will not work using a 3rd party modem.

Awesome.. three devices to get the service working.

NCD/modem, Your Archer gateway.. and my own equipment which has 300x more capable OS than the Archer device..

By awesome.. I mean ridiculous.. do I charge you guys for my power usage for the other two devices ?

mpgioia
Level 3

@mpgioia wrote:

@Will wrote:

However, the homephone service will not work using a 3rd party modem.

Awesome.. three devices to get the service working.

NCD/modem, Your Archer gateway.. and my own equipment which has 300x more capable OS than the Archer device..

By awesome.. I mean ridiculous.. do I charge you guys for my power usage for the other two devices ?

Can I get a bit more embellishment on why I have to use the Archer gateway for the VOIP function ?

Did you guys develop your own firmware for it ? .. Are there any plans of allowing other devices to associate to your SIP service ?

Will

Hi @mpgioia,

The NCD is part of the infrastructure design of NBN FTTC, hence why it's required to be used. The TP-Link modem on the other hand has been preconfigured in order for the phone to work.

The option to have the SIP settings for TPG Home Phone is currently not possible as our system is not designed that way. Hence why homephone will not work with a 3rd party modem.

Let me know if you have other technical concerns.

Regards,