TPG Community

Get online support

Help, VR1600 keeps rebooting

Jedevice
Level 2

Hi TPG,

I think an unstalbe or not well tested firemware has been pushed to my router since last Sunday night (09/10).It shouldn't be any other reasons because my home network environment (includes the power supply) has changed.

Current Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 220518 Rel.32480n

Hardware Version:Archer VR1600v v1.0 00000000

The symptons are

1.Rebooting every 60-90 seconds

2.Device was running at an above usual temperature

3.When the device went into rebooting process, all lights in the front went off.

Had to do a factory reset (by pushing the pinhole button), then found out something instresting:

1.PPPoE account/password already pre-filled, the device connected to internet without my configration.

2.Looked into the password, clicked the "password reval" icon and it told me the password was "NoPassword", as the account name is geninue my account name .

3.Lost all settings, (reserved DHCP, access control, MAC binding, NAT,etc)

4.Tried to put all the missing settings back in place. During this process, the router configration page has shown a noticeable laggy and it looked like it was expirencing a high cpu load.

5.The router went back to the rebooting cycle after some of the settings had been finished.

6.Repeating #4 couple times tried to find out which setting has caused the CPU high load or rebooting but unable to conclue anyting. Seems to be anything other than PPPoE might cause problems.

7.Repeated reset (through the settings page) couple times for further tests and now the PPPoE account name is "tpg_acs@tpg_acs" and the password is "tpg_acs".

Now my router is running with PPPoE and NAT only (Wifi OFF) setting and looks stable now.

Please help, thx.

10 REPLIES 10
Rica_R

Hi @Jedevice,

We would like to take a closer look into this for you! Please send us a Private Message with your TPG username or account number so we can review this in closer detail. Thank you.

How do I private message (PM) in the community? - https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Welcome/How-do-I-private-message-PM-in-the-community/m-p/4093/highli...

Jedevice
Level 2

PM has been sent. Smiley Very Happy

Jedevice
Level 2

@Jedevice wrote:

Hi TPG,

I think an unstalbe or not well tested firemware has been pushed to my router since last Sunday night (09/10).It shouldn't be any other reasons because my home network environment (includes the power supply) has changed.

Current Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 220518 Rel.32480n

Hardware Version:Archer VR1600v v1.0 00000000

The symptons are

1.Rebooting every 60-90 seconds

2.Device was running at an above usual temperature

3.When the device went into rebooting process, all lights in the front went off.

Had to do a factory reset, then found out something instresting:

1.PPPoE account/password already pre-filled, the device connected to internet without my configration.

2.Looked into the password, clicked the "password reval" icon and it told me the password was "NoPassword", as the account name is geninue my account name .

3.Lost all settings, (reserved DHCP, access control, MAC binding, NAT,etc)

4.Tried to put all the missing settings back in place. During this process, the router configration page has shown a noticeable laggy and it looked like it was expirencing a high cpu load.

5.The router went back to the rebooting cycle after some of the settings had been finished.

6.Repeating #4 couple times tried to find out which setting has caused the CPU high load or rebooting but unable to conclue anyting. Seems to be anything other than PPPoE might cause problems.

7.Repeated reset couple times for further tests and now the PPPoE account name is "tpg_acs@tpg_acs" and the password is "tpg_acs".

Now my router is running with PPPoE and NAT only (Wifi OFF) setting and looks stable now.

Please help, thx.

Just add a littlt more information regarding how the reset was conducted. It looks like this question has been asked frequently in other posts.

1.The 1st reset was done by pushing the pinhole button.

2.All other resets were done throught reset button on the settings configuration page.

Jedevice
Level 2

It has been 7 days since last PM. Is there anything TPG going to advise to solve this problem?

BasilDV

Hi @Jedevice

Your service shows that its been stable for more than a week now.

If you are experiencing dropouts via WiFI, then you may try these articles to improve your home WiFI network.

Let us know how it goes.

BasilDV

Jedevice
Level 2

I'm experiencing router rebooting since TPG push the firmware update and it has nothing to do with WIFI. This router may reboot even I have all wifi (both 2.4G and 5G) off and use wired connection only.

The "stable" status you mentioned was just an illusion, with limited functions enabled on the router. How can you call it's stable when you are unable to use the DDoS protection and other features, as it used to work very well with older firmware??

In the last 2 weeks you guys just asked me about how it looked like when the reboot took place and I have provided eveything I knew, just try to help out to have this issue fixed. And now you want to leave it while it looks like "stable"?

I'm asking TPG to provide a practical solution to fix this problem within a reasonable peroid of time. If fails to do so, I'll have to raise this issue to ACCC and other government agencies.

BasilDV

Hi @Jedevice

The features you've mentioned via PM are all still available and usable on the new firmware.

You may factory reset the modem/router first, then reconfigure it.

Let us know once done and will check it further with our team.

BasilDV

Jedevice
Level 2

@BasilDV wrote:

Hi @Jedevice

The features you've mentioned via PM are all still available and usable on the new firmware.

You may factory reset the modem/router first, then reconfigure it.

Let us know once done and will check it further with our team.

BasilDV

Well, if you have ever read my first post, you wouldn't say that.

I didn't say anything about AVAILABILITY, I was keeping saying the router was NOT STABLE with those features turned on. It is all because the new firmware.

In my first post, I've already said I have reset the router several times.

How do you think one more reset could make any difference?

Shane

Hi @Jedevice,

We appreciate the additional details. We will raise this to our Network Engineers to investigate the cause of dropouts with the new firmware of our supplied modem.

We will get back to you as soon as update becomes available.

Regards,

Well, if you have ever read my first post, you wouldn't say that.

I didn't say anything about AVAILABILITY, I was keeping saying the router was NOT STABLE with those features turned on. It is all because the new firmware.

In my first post, I've already said I have reset the router several times.

How do you think one more reset could make any difference?