TPG Community

Get online support

How do I setup a Guest Wifi network on my TP-Link VX220-G2v v2.0?

aplmac
Level 3

I have a TP-Link VX220-G2v v2.0 supplied for my NBN connection. I would like to:

1) Set up a Guest Wifi access to separate visitors from my private network.

I've poked around in the Wireless settings and can't see any mention of a "Guest wifi" setting that I've seen in other routers - options are both 2.4GHz and 5GHz either all on or off. What I did find was multi-SSID option, so what I did was to name and enable WiFi and hide its SSID and enabled multi-SSID1 for 5GHz, named it, and checked for guests to see each other, and unchecked access to the LAN. So they get internet access, but can't see the network. Is this how it's meant to be done here or is there a better way?

2) Given the above network separation, is it possible to exempt my wifi printer from the network separation, as sometimes someone needs to print something out when they're here? Can that be done? I can't see anywhere to include or exclude devices based on Wifi versus wired. Perhaps I hope too much from this router! FYI: The printer is wireless, and "infrastructure" network mode enabled.

Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated!

1 REPLY 1
david64
Level 15

Hi @aplmac . Another user had the same question. TPG chose not to respond to my comment.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Archer-1500-VX220-G2v/m-p/137784

But you seem to have a solution.

Create a second SSID on both bands. Hide the two bands that you will use yourself. Give the 2 visible ones meaningful names and passwords for your guests to use. The 5GHz band has more capacity for several guests but some might need the 2.4 GHz band.

Since the 2 bands you will use yourself are hidden, you have to type in the SSID names when you connect.

There might not be any way to restrict the bandwidth used by guests.

If you prevent guests from seeing each other, they won't be able to see the wifi printer.

If guests see each other, which might not be wanted, they can see the printer.

Which band does the printer connect to (2.4 or 5)?

Can they see it across bands, ie. can a guest on 2.4 print to the printer on 5?

What is "infrastructure" network mode on printer?