TPG Community

Get online support

How to set up D-LINK DSL-3785 router to NBN

snuffle
Level 2

Hello

I need help configuring my new D-LINK DSL-3785 router with a ARRIS CM8200B P2 NBN Connection Box HFC Modem Router (see photo attached).

I tried configuring the router myself based on the settings on the TPG website and I also spoke to TPG support today buy they were not helpful and suggested that I buy a TPG support modem.

Any help would be amazing!

Regards

Snuffle :-)

3 REPLIES 3
david64
Level 15

Hi @snuffle . Have you seen this?

Connect ethernet cable from NBN box to LAN/WAN port on DLink. Do factory reset.

Login to router.

Select Settings, Internet.

WAN access type is VDSL.

Click Advanced.

Enable Virtual circuit, set to VLAN ID=2.

Scroll down.

Connection is PPPoE.

Enter username + @tpg.com.au and password.

Connection type is PPPoE LLC.

NAT enable is Enabled.

Save.

User guide is not clear on some of this,

snuffle
Level 2

Hi David64

I asked TPG support if i needed to change the VLAN ID=2 but they said no. Since then I have done some reading on the net and this seems to be necessary.

Thankyou for helping me. I will try the settings you have suggested tomorrow, and if they dont work i will cancel my account and sign up with another ISP as I was not impressed that TPG support could not help me setup a major brand modem / router and their solution was to order a pre-configured modem from TPG. 

Could you please send me the link to where you found the information you posted?

Thanks again :-)

Snuffle

david64
Level 15

@snuffle . It was only a guess from reading the manual from D-Link website. It was my answer to user Forsaken13 on 17/1/22 so you could ask that user.

Or, contact D-Link support; you want to use the ethernet WAN via LAN/WAN port.

iiNet have some help articles for D-Link routers on HFC. One of these might be similar to 3785 device.

https://help.iinet.net.au/setting-common-non-iinet-supplied-modems-nbn-hfc

The VLAN ID setting is only used on bundled NBN/VOIP plans.

The VLAN ID setting is not used for the BYO router data only plan (no VOIP), or the Superfast/Ultrafast plans.