TPG Community

Get online support

I would like to use the TP-link Archer VR1210V as my VR1600V has failed

mmarysej54
Level 2
Hi TPG,
My Modem router has finally failed after a year of constant drop outs, it was the Archer VR1600V ver:2.0
which TPG supplied from TP-Link it worked off the NBN National Broadband Network in Australia using VOIP for the phone system.

TPG, suggest I use the Archer TP-Link VX420-G2H Modem Router which I feel has far less features and performance than the TP-link Archer VR1210V I would like to use and future proof for later gigabit speeds.

Proposal: I would like to purchase and use the TP-Link Archer VR1210V which has all the specs I require as well as Guest network and 802.11b/g/n mixed setting for my older digital components and two phone line ports for all my extension phones the VX420-G2H has only one phone port and the settings are more customisable. 

Question:  I'm asking to check with your modem supplier for a way to use the VR1210V with my HFC NBN TPG service plan with VOIP.
Here are the specs for the VR1210V and a link to the site....
Buy Tp-link Archer VR1210V Router - Black, Routers from for only 106.99 AU$. Find electronics and computers deals in Techinn | Fast delivery
Product description Tp-link Archer VR1210V Router

Features:

- Super VDSL: The Latest Super VDSL (VDSL2 Profile 35b) tech delivers internet speeds of up to 350 Mbps
- Speedy WiFi: Experience superb wireless connections with 867 Mbps (5 GHz) + 300 Mbps (2.4 GHz) dual band WiFi
- Versatile Connectivity: Fully compatible with VDSL2/ADSL2+/ADSL2/ADSL standards, as well as fiber, cable, and 3G/4G internet services
- Full Gigabit Ports: Take full advantage of broadband speeds up to 1 Gbps
- Superior Range: Two fixed omnidirectional antennas with Beamforming technology provide stable wireless connections and optimal coverage
- MU-MIMO Technology: Simultaneously transfers data to multiple devices to reduce congestion and boost the average throughput
- Telephony: Make or receive phone calls over the internet simply by connecting the device to their existing telephone set.
- AC1200 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VoIP VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
- Super DSL - the Future of the Internet: The Archer VR1210v features Super VDSL (VDSL2 Profile 35b), the latest generation of DSL technology. Downstream is increased by up to 350 Mbps, 3.5× faster than its VDSL2 predecessor.

- Lightning-Fast Wired Connections: Four Gigabit ports operate up to 10× faster than Fast Ethernet. Plug your gaming console, desktop, or IPTV in to 4K-ready speeds. The USB 3.0 port allows you to connect hard drives and transfer data up to 10× faster than USB 2.0. Quickly and easily share files, photos, music, and videos across your entire network.
- Better Coverage with Beamforming: Beamforming technology dramatically increases coverage by detecting wireless devices and concentrating signal strength towards them. Enjoy stronger, more stable connections—even as mobile devices move from room to room.
- MU-MIMO: Efficient Wi-Fi for Every Device: MU-MIMO technology transmits data to multiple devices, simultaneously. No more bandwidth congestion of latency. All devices receive data more quickly as Wi-Fi is used more efficiently.

Specifications:
HARDWARE FEATURES:
Interface:
- 4 10/100/1000Mbps RJ45 LAN Ports
- 1 10/100/1000Mbps RJ45 WAN Port
- 1 VDSL2 Port
- 2 FXS Ports
- 1 USB 3.0 Port
- Button: Power On/Off Button, WPS On/Off Button, Wireless On/Off Button, Reset Button
- External Power Supply: 12V/1.5A
- Wireless Standards: IEEE 802.11ac/n/a 5GHz, IEEE 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz
- IEEE Standards: IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3u, 802.3ab
- VDSL2 Standards: ITU G.993.2, Up to 35b profile ITU-T G.993.5 (G.vector) ITU-T G.998.4 (G.INP)
- ADSL Standards: Full-rate ANSI T1.413 Issue 2 ITU-T G.992.1 (G.DMT) ITU-T G.992.2 (G.Lite) ITU-T G.994.1 (G.hs) ITU-T G.995.1
- ADSL2 Standards: ITU-T G.992.3 (G.DMT.bis) ITU-T G.992.4 (G.lite.bis)
- ADSL2+ Standards: ITU-T G.992.5
- Dimensions ( W x D x H ): 8.4 × 5.7 ×3.2 in (214.0 × 144.5 × 80.0 mm)
- Antenna: Internal Antennas
- Antenna Type: Internal antennas

- Antenna Gain: 3 x 2dBi for 2.4GHz and 4 x 2dBi for 5GHz

WIRELESS FEATURES:
- Frequency: 2.4GHz and 5GHz (Supports DFS)
- Signal Rate: 867Mbps at 5GHz, 300Mbps at 2.4GHz
- Transmit Power: <20dBm (2.4GHz), <23dBm (5GHz Band1 & Band2), <30dBm (5GHz Band3)
- Wireless Functions: Enable/Disable Wireless Radio, WMM, Wireless Statistics
- Wireless Security: 64/128-bit WEP, WPA/WPA2, WPA-PSK/WPA-PSK2 encryptions
- DHCP: Server, Client, DHCP Client List, Address Reservation, DHCP Relay
- Wireless Schedule: Support 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wireless Schedule

SOFTWARE FEATURES:
- Quality of Service: ATM QoS, QoS
- Security: NAT Firewall, SPI Firewall, Access Control, Service Filtering, Denial of Service (DoS), SYN Flooding, Ping of Death, IP and MAC Address Binding
- Management: Web Based Configuration (HTTP / HTTPS ), Remote management, Command Line Interface, SSL for TR-069, SNMP v1/2c, Firmware Up grade, Diagnostic Tools, Web Based Firmware Upgrade
- Port Forwarding: Virtual Server, Port Triggering, DMZ, ALG, UPnP
- Dynamic DNS: DynDns, NO-IP
- VPN: OpenVPN, PPTP VPN, IPSec VPN
- Protocols: Support IPv4 and IPv6
- ATM/PPP Protocols: ATM Forum UNI3.1/4.0, PPP over ATM (RFC 2364), PPP over Ethernet (RFC2516), IPoA (RFC1577/2225), MERIPoE (RFC 1483 Routed), Bridge (RFC1483 Bridge), PVC – Up to 8 PVCs
- Advanced Functions: Parental Controls, Network Address Translation(NAT), Port Mapping (Grouping), Static Routing, RIP v1/v2 (optional), DNS Relay, DD NS, IGMP V1/V2/V3
- USB Sharing: Support Samba (Storage) / FTP Server / Media Server
- Guest Network: 2.4GHz guest network, 5GHz guest network
- IPSec VPN: Support up to 10 IPSec VPN tunnels

OTHERS:
- System Requirements: Microsoft Windows 98SE, NT, 2000, XP, Vista™ or Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, MAC OS, NetWare, UNIX or Linux Internet Explorer 11, Firefox 12.0, Chrome 20.0, Safari 4.0 , or other Java-enabled browser Cable or DSL Modem

3 REPLIES 3
BasilDV

Hi @mmarysej54

You can use any modem/router you prefer, but the bundled VoIP will not work since the settings are embedded in the firmware of the TPG provided modem/router.

You have the option to use the TPG provided modem/router as the main connector (Just disable the WLAN/WIFi), then use the third party device as an access point to connect all of your devices via WiFi or Wired connection.

BasilDV

mmarysej54
Level 2

Hi Basil,

With Aussie Broadband, for instance, I am told you can use whichever router you wish and they provide you the VoIP settings so you can enter them into any router you want to use,

I want to stay with TPG any idea why they won't let me use the VR1210V and provide me with their settings?

Any idea if TP-link will warranty the VR1210V if I buy it from the UK?

Cheers and thanks for your help

BasilDV

Hi @mmarysej54

Currently, the VoIP settings are embedded to the TPG provided modem/router. It is a Management decision to have the phone service work through the TPG provided modem/router only. This may change in the future.

We do provide NBN plans that the customers can buy their own modem/router and it is a Data only or Internet only plan.

It is still their brand so they may provide warranty, but to be sure, you may contact TP-Link AU directly to confirm.

BasilDV