TPG Community

Get online support

IOS15 Privacy Warning: This network is blocking encrypted DNS traffic

adeelabk
Level 2

Modem: tp-link

Hardware version: Archer VR1600v v2.0 00000000

Firmware version: 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 210413 Rel.19548n

Security: WPA/WPA2 Personal (Recommended)

Version: WPA2-PSK

Encryption: AES

Hi I am getting this warning and I have noticed that I am getting issues with Facetime. It gets off of my wifi and tries to connect to mobile data.

6 REPLIES 6
david64
Level 15

Hi @adeelabk . Regarding encrypted DNS, what ip address do you have? Either in your IOS device or in the router config?

Google's 8.8.8.8 supports DNS over TLS. Or, you device might have a setting to use plain DNS.

Any more info re Facetime? Time? Loss of wifi connection? Internet dropout at router?

adeelabk
Level 2
The warning goes away if Private Address is disabled. But then it shows a different warning. I’m using 10.x.x.x scheme for ip address

Since I have upgraded to iOS15, FaceTime connects and within 5-10 secs it shows an exclamation mark on the video and I noticed that as soon as it happens, the phone switched to 4G.
david64
Level 15

@adeelabk . With Private Address enabled, does internet work at all on iphone?

With Private Address disabled, what is the different warning?

With these home routers, ethernet and wifi devices accept ip address, DNS address and subnet mask from the router. For the Archer, ip address range is 192.168.1.100-199.

I don't see what Private Address gives you. Your local ip addresses are translated by NAT as they go through router.

david64
Level 15

@adeelabk . Reading further, Private Address means the device uses a different MAC address for each network it connects to (instead of using its real hardware MAC address).

I don't see how this relates to encrypted DNS traffic. Apparently, this can be turned off. Do internet search for      encrypted dns ios14     for steps.

JackRussel
Level 2

I have the same thing going on. And I thought I was the only one!

davidhunter76
Level 2

Same for me on Ios 15.3 public beta.