TPG Community

Get online support

IP packet fragmentation ps4

hatchet78
Level 2
Hi
I've had tpg for months now with router TP-LINK vx420-g2v on fttp nbn connection. Never has this with my Playstation 4 and the router connection just until recently.
I cannot seem to get a full or stable connection on my ps4 either through wifi or Ethernet cable. The message on the Playstation is that modem may not support IP packet fragmentation. I looked that up it lead me to the MTU settings on the modem.
That's where I get lost. I can figure out a bit of tech stuff but I need a hand with this one. Anyone else have similar issues? Thanks ahead of time. Cheers 😎
9 REPLIES 9
david64
Level 15

Hi @hatchet78 . Can you check the properties on the PS4 ethernet and wifi adapters. Set the MTU value to the value in the router, or to an "auto" setting to accept the value provided by the router. Compare the PS4 settings to your computer.

hatchet78
Level 2
Thanks mate. It's seemed to have worked. Cheers mate
Spjder_Venom
Level 2
Hello, I'm having the same issue but no matter what I do I can't make it work. Also I can't find how to change MTU on my router, I have the speedport plus. Do you have any way to help because my internet speed is lower since this problem appeared.
david64
Level 15

@Spjder_Venom . Do you have the user manual?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://help.cosmote.gr/system/templates/selfse...

MTU should already be set, 1480 in my router.

What device has the low speed?

Spjder_Venom
Level 2
My PS4 slim. It started about a month or 2. Suddenly getting that error and having almost half the speed.
Spjder_Venom
Level 2
MTU is set to 1492.. I tried selecting manual and inputting 1492 MTU but nothing changes.. any ideas ??? Perhaps it's a firewall problem? The problem is even though the manual says about firewall settings, they don't exist anymore. I go into that exact place and nothing's there, the firewall section is completely gone. Saw many people saying that the firewall is the problem.
david64
Level 15

@Spjder_Venom . Do you have an ethernet computer or laptop with 5GHz wifi to run speed test on TPGs support page? What down and up speeds do you get?
What speed NBN plan do you have? (NBN25,NBN50,NBN100?)

Your router's default MTU is 1492 which allows for an 8 byte PPPoE header to give max ethernet frame size of 1500.

Can you find the MTU setting in your PS4?

(In your PS4 Settings, go to Network. Select Set Up Internet Connection. Choose Wi-Fi or LAN. Next step choose Custom. Just click through all the steps using the defaults that is provides until you reach the MTU portion.)

What value is it?

Spjder_Venom
Level 2
Will my phone do? I have a PC but it's far away so it's connected through an extended, so the speeds will be lower, but in ookla speed test I get about 50-70 mbps download and 7-9 Mbps upload.
What's nbn? I have Cosmote 100mbps..
I think when I first tried connecting through manual it was 1500, I tried with 1492 but it didn't work either.
Yehor
Level 2
Hello,
have you solved this problem? if that, please, let me know
Regards