TPG Community

Get online support

Internet drops out when phone rings - Huawei HG659

dooboolacky
Level 2

Hi Forum,

Having a problem with the VOIP phone on 50Mb/sec plan (typically getting 36Mb/sec)

Connection is NBN with maybe 1km of copper wire to the node.

The HG659 has two phone ports. 1 phone is plugged into one, and 2 phones piggy back off the second (one has an answering machine).

When the phone(s) rings the internet drops out and the call gets disconnected.

But, some calls come through okay.

Any ideas?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @dooboolacky I was under the assumption that the phone 2 socket on the back of the HG659 is for a secondary service (as in a separate phone number).

All the setup information says to use the phone 1 socket, try disconnecting all devices from the phone 2 socket and test it again, if OK add one device at a time to be paralleled to the phone 1 socket and test again.

Your attainable speed is typical for the 1km of copper to the node.

Shane

Hi @dooboolacky,

Welcome to the community!

I'd like to know if you still experience the same issue and what troubleshooting have you done so far?

Cheers!

Hi Forum,

Having a problem with the VOIP phone on 50Mb/sec plan (typically getting 36Mb/sec)

Connection is NBN with maybe 1km of copper wire to the node.

The HG659 has two phone ports. 1 phone is plugged into one, and 2 phones piggy back off the second (one has an answering machine).

When the phone(s) rings the internet drops out and the call gets disconnected.

But, some calls come through okay.

Any ideas?

Thanks

dooboolacky
Level 2

Hi, Orbistat, Shane,

I have disconnected the phone from port 2 of the Huawei, but still have a phone + answermachine piggy backed on the first.

I have not noticed a drop out since, but then I don't get so many phone calls, so this may take a while to accrue statistics...

Certainly phone calls have come through and the answer machine has picked them up, so it does work, but I am just not sure if these phone induced internet drop outs are cured or just remain intermittent.

Thanks for your interest and replies!

If it happens again I'll remove one of the piggy backed devices and see what happens then.

Thanks again

Shane

I am glad to know that, @dooboolacky.

Hopefully it will be stable and won't occur again. Else feel free to post it on this thread.

Cheers! Smiley Happy