TPG Community

Get online support

Is this modem configurable by TPG?

stegil
Level 2

Yesterday my NBN with VOIP went down and I contacted support. After line testing, a technician was scheduled to come out but later in the day the connection problem magically resolved itself and the technician was cancelled. This is just background and not why I am posting.

I was using Hauwei HG659. My problem with the HG659 was the power button, pressing the button would not power up the unit on most occasions. During the downtime, I chose to replace my HG659 with a backup modem I had for maybe 2 years TP-Link VR1600v. I have discovered it ISP altered firmware I was not aware of on purchasing. Configured and working fine as a modem with my TPG service. It is VOIP (Telephony) that is the problem. It has the old user's number register and I can not change it as there is no configurable setting in firmware.VR1600v User interfaceVR1600v User interface

I have seen the TPG's modem configuration guide and I know that a very high percentage of the VR1600v were produced for TPG. There is a high probability that it is a TPG supplied modem. TPG controls firmware for its supplied modems. I just want VOIP to work.

I am hoping TPG update this modem so I can have my VOIP service? 

7 REPLIES 7
Riezl

Hi @stegil , please be advised that the VoIP service is only provisioned on the TPG supplied modem.

Please send us a private message with your TPG customer ID, username and complete address so we can pull up the account and look into this.

Please also include the Serial Number and MAC Address of the TP Link VR1600v modem including the account details of the previous owner of this modem.

To send a PM, please refer to this link: How do I private message (PM) in the community

stegil
Level 2

I was happy that TPG could configure this modem to work at the time. The VR1600v modem did not live up to my expectations as far as the Wi-Fi in my house. I am not putting in a router or repeater or any other hardware to fix a problem that was not a problem before the modem change. I went to change back to my HG659 (originally supplied by TPG) that I opened and repaired the switch. The settings are unchanged from before my change and I am without a telephone service again.

I maintain that settings should be able to be configured by the user, after all, it is not that hard. From this, I am realising that it robs me of the freedom of choice as to what modem equipment I use.

Riezl

Hi @stegil , we will need to update the modem details on our system in order for your VoIP service to work on the other TPG modem. Please let us know if you want to proceed.

stegil
Level 2

So I do not convolute things, I am just going to say please update to the HG659 that I am currently receiving my NBN through.

stegil
Level 2

I don't know that anything was done since my last post. What I do know is it still does not work. I have no telephone service.

stegil
Level 2

Private message sent as not getting any assistance from writing in this thread.

Riezl

Hi @stegil , the modem details have been updated. Kindly check if the VOIP is already working. Let us know should you need further assistance. Cheers!