TPG Community

Get online support

Losing wifi connection in the backyard

SOLVED Go to solution
sylk007
Level 2

Hi,

I have a TP-Link C1200 modem that I got from TPG about 4 or 5 years ago. A few weeks ago, I have started losing the wifi connection in the backyard. The modem is next to the NBN box at the front of the house and the backyard is about 20m away. Lately, once I go out in the backyard, I have started losing the wifi signal and I can't connect. If I am relatively close to it, I have no issues, eg the upstairs bedroom is directly above it and there are no issues connecting, the lounge room TV is about 10m away and has no issues connecting, it's just going outside or in the range of over 20m that there are connectivity issues.

I have restarted, etc...but that has not solved the problem. There are only a couple of walls between the modem and the backyard and it never used to be a problem. 

Would it be worth getting a new modem/router off TPG? Or should I just get a wifi range extender instead?

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Shane

Hi @sylk007 ,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for raising this to us. Please correct me if I am wrong, based on what I understand, the issue only occur recently, is this correct?

If so, it is possible that there is an interference to the modem's Wireless Signal causing the device(s) to loss Wi-Fi connection when it reaches the backyard.

Here are some article that you may find helpful, this will guide you on how to eliminate interference at the same time imrove the Wireless connection at home. Please see the links below.

Let me know how it will go.

Cheers!

@sylk007 wrote:

Hi,

I have a TP-Link C1200 modem that I got from TPG about 4 or 5 years ago. A few weeks ago, I have started losing the wifi connection in the backyard. The modem is next to the NBN box at the front of the house and the backyard is about 20m away. Lately, once I go out in the backyard, I have started losing the wifi signal and I can't connect. If I am relatively close to it, I have no issues, eg the upstairs bedroom is directly above it and there are no issues connecting, the lounge room TV is about 10m away and has no issues connecting, it's just going outside or in the range of over 20m that there are connectivity issues.

I have restarted, etc...but that has not solved the problem. There are only a couple of walls between the modem and the backyard and it never used to be a problem. 

Would it be worth getting a new modem/router off TPG? Or should I just get a wifi range extender instead?

Thanks.

View solution in original post

Ahra_G

Hi @sylk007

The normal Wi-Fi range of a modem can be up to 10 meters. 

You may check out the articles below which you may find helpful: 

• Troubleshooting a Slow Internet Connection

• Easy Steps to Improve Wi-Fi Connection In Your Home

• Wireless Channel on your modem - what is it and why should I change it

If you need further assistance, please send us a private message with your TPG customer ID, username and complete address so we can pull up the account.

To send a PM, please refer to this link: How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards,

Ahra_G

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Shane

Hi @sylk007 ,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for raising this to us. Please correct me if I am wrong, based on what I understand, the issue only occur recently, is this correct?

If so, it is possible that there is an interference to the modem's Wireless Signal causing the device(s) to loss Wi-Fi connection when it reaches the backyard.

Here are some article that you may find helpful, this will guide you on how to eliminate interference at the same time imrove the Wireless connection at home. Please see the links below.

Let me know how it will go.

Cheers!

@sylk007 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks.

Ahra_G

Hi @sylk007

The normal Wi-Fi range of a modem can be up to 10 meters. 

You may check out the articles below which you may find helpful: 

• Troubleshooting a Slow Internet Connection

• Easy Steps to Improve Wi-Fi Connection In Your Home

• Wireless Channel on your modem - what is it and why should I change it

If you need further assistance, please send us a private message with your TPG customer ID, username and complete address so we can pull up the account.

To send a PM, please refer to this link: How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards,

Ahra_G