Meshing VX420-G2V

Uber
Level 2

With our new FTTP connection the modem is now located miles from anywhere in our house.  Just wondering how to go about setting up a mesh system via this router (with VoiP), or whether it can be replaced with something else.  Considerinng buying the ASUS ZenWifi AX6600.  It's a big house.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
david64
Level 15

Hi @Uber . Is it possible to run extension cable for the phone handset and CAT6 ethernet cable from FTTP box to router to a better position in your house?

You might then only need a wifi extender.

Uber
Level 2

No, that would be major surgery.  The phone can stay with the modem, that's not a problem, it's just the data range.

david64
Level 15

@Uber . So, NBNCo did the install at least cost to them and most inconvenience to you?

Does the phone connect to the FTTP box rather than the VX420?

If so, you can replace the VX420 with another device. The Asus main unit goes with FTTP box. 

Some of its effectiveness will be lost getting to the remote unit elsewhere in house. You can add a third unit.

You need to read reviews. There are several mesh products around.

Uber
Level 2

That is correct David.  Even though there is a phone line, the running of fibre in its place was not to be.  I could get an electrician to do it but that would be a costly exercise.  Of course it would have been much simpler for the nation to simply transition from DSL to 5G wireless, but now we must wait until sufficient fibre has been rolled out in each district before 5G for home is released. Otherwise NBN co. would have to be written off as the national disaster that it is.

But I digress.  

The VoiP plugs straight into the NBN box, so perhaps that is one positive and I can just replace the modem/router in its entirety.  I am embarrassed for TPG that they don't clearly provide such fundamental connection information, and that their customers have to somehow find out for themselves.

I chose the ASUS becuase it apparently has excellent coverage, and I might get away with a single slave unit plus the base - and is not excessivley priced.