TPG Community

Get online support

New TPG 5G modem - SAGEMCOM Fast 5866T, trying to access Wi-Fi with a Nokia 6 mobile.

leohillyer
Level 2

I'm trying to ditch our Telstra NBN for TPG 5G Home Broadband.
Rec'd my new Sagemcom modem yesterday (Mon 16th Aug 2022), connected a laptop + a tablet and an old 3G Samsung mobile,  no problem. 
BUT,  when i try our 2 x Nokia 6 mobiles, after entering in the wifi password, it shows 'saved' but does not attempt to connect/access the wifi.
I rang tpg support (overseas) they suggested i 'reboot/restart' the modem, but same problem. I even went and borrowed some neighbours phones, they all worked.
So it appears to be between my Nokia phones and the Modem. This modem seems to run 2.4Mhz & 5Mhz at the same time. So i thought how about i get the modem to just use 2.4Mhz only. All info suggests that i use a browser and an address of 192.168.1.1 which i have done a few times, with some errors, however,   this time i was able to get into the modem and see the information available, i could see the 2.4 & 5 Mhz systems. I tried turning off one at a time, still same problem with the mobile.
At this stage i'm 'stuck'.
Any suggestions.
Leo,  Heathcote,  Sydney  NSW  Australia.

3 REPLIES 3
BasilDV

Hi @leohillyer

You may need to reboot the modem/router, then try to access the modem interface again (192.168.1.1).

Make sure that you are using a device that's already connected to the network.

Once inside, you should be able to see the WiFi option for 2.4GHz and 5GHz band network.

If you are able to locate a band steering option, please disable it or disable the 5GHz band network if you want to run a 2.4GHz only network.

Let us know how it goes,

BasilDV

leohillyer
Level 2

Thanks for the suggestion.
I did get into the modem settings after a few attempts. I tried turning off the 5Mhz, then the 2.4Mhz bands, retried the mobile to no avail. Its looking like my Nokia 6 and the Sagecom modem just don't like each other.
I may have to buy 2 new phones to get past this, but didn't really want to, not cheap. In the short term, return the TPG modem, look around for some mobiles (probably Samsung) and revisit TPG 5G next year.

BasilDV

Hi @leohillyer

You may also try changing the WiFI name and password along with the WiFi channel and check if your Nokia 6 device will connect.

BasilDV