TPG Community

Get online support

Old Modem as as WiFi Extender

tarakmehta
Level 2

Hi, 

I am having NBN connection and supplied modem is not capabple enough for wifi coverage. 

I want to use my Netgear "N 600 DGND3700v2 Modem Router as a wifi range extender/ repeater. 

KIndly help me to config it. I tried myself but faild. 

Thanks in advance. 

11 REPLIES 11
BasilDV

Hi @tarakmehta 

Connecting your Netgear modem/router wirelessly to the TP-Link modem is not possible, since the WDS function is not supported.

In order to set your Netgear modem/router as an access point, you need to connect it via Ethernet cable to the LAN port of the TP-Link modem.

Same concept as posted on the discussion here.

On your Netgear interface;

• Select Advanced > Setup > LAN Setup
  • Change the LAN TCP/IP Setup to 192.168.1.254, else leave it by default.
  • Uncheck the Use Router as DHCP Server.
  • Click Apply to save your changes.

Regards,

BasilDV

tarakmehta
Level 2

Thnx @BasilDV for your reply.

The link you shared for understanding is very confusing. Whats changes I need to do in TPG's supplied dlink modem? 

Can you please advise in details. 

Thanks. 

BasilDV

Hi @tarakmehta 

No need to change anything on the TPG supplied modem (TP-link).

The instructions that I've provided is for your Netgear modem/router.

The link that I've provided can be used as a guide.

If you want it as simple as possible you can do a LAN to LAN connection between the TP-Link and the Netgear. It's simple and easy to configure.

- Connect the Netgear to the TP-Link via Lan cable. You can use any Lan port like from lan 1of TP-Link to lan 1 of the Netgear.

- Then you need to access the modem interface of the Netgear.

On your Netgear interface;

• Select Advanced > Setup > LAN Setup
  • Change the LAN TCP/IP Setup to 192.168.1.254, else leave it by default.
  • Uncheck the Use Router as DHCP Server.
  • Click Apply to save your changes.

Regards,

BasilDV

tarakmehta
Level 2

@BasilDV Thnks for your quick response. 

I will try this and update. 

I Hope after doing this the i will get batter range. 

Thanks

BasilDV

You are welcome, @tarakmehta .

You may also check the Mesh WiFi system via YouTube or Google for reviews as it may help boost the range of the WiFi connection.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Regards,

BasilDV

tarakmehta
Level 2

Hello @BasilDV ,

I connecgted both my netgear with tplink. 

One of my laptop (which I connected via ethernet cable to config netgear settings) gets the direct wifi on netgear's ssid connection. 

But while using netgear's wifi ssid in mobile and other laptop i am not able to get conncetion event after entering passord. No Internet Connection error. Also ther wifi signle goes down to zero in another room which is around 20..30 mtrs away from the router.

thanks.

Will

Hi @tarakmehta

Just to clarify since you mentioned that the laptop was connected via Ethernet, did you disconnect the ethernet cord and connected the laptop to the WIFI network of the Netgear?

In addition, how far are your devices when you tried to connect them to the Netgear's WIFI network? Because if you're struggling to get signal bars from your Netgear's network, then that would be one explanation why they're failing to connect. But if they're in the same room where the Netgear modem is, then you might want to try changing the WIFI channel to see if that would help. Unfortunately, if you're planning to use the devices 20-30 meters away from the Netgear, you'll probably have difficulty getting a signal bar even if you change the WIFI channel. You might want to consider WIFI Mesh as suggested by Basil.

Regards,

tarakmehta
Level 2

HI @Will , the laptop is connected on netgear via wifi only, not with lan. 

Also, the suggested WIFI Mesh is highly expensive. I dont want to expense that much that is why i am trying to get it done by old modem. 

thanks

Will

Hi @tarakmehta

It appears that you may have missed out the other question I've raised as to the location of the other devices when you were trying to connect them to the network. Were they in the same room where the laptop was during the time you tried to connect them? If not, try and connect the other devices in the same location where the laptop is, to test if they will connect or not.

Were you able to test the laptop in the 20-30m location you mentioned? Because if the laptop is having difficulty detecting the network in that distance, then, we can definitely say that the range is too far already. Other than WIFI mesh, you may consider WIFI extenders or repeaters.