TPG Community

Get online support

Old smart bulbs and smart plugs are not working on 5G Home Broadband

ylia095
Level 2

I found old smart bulbs and smart plugs are not working with with 5G Home Broadband. The old smart devices only support 2.4G wifi. Can I connect  tp-link AC1600 wireless router to Sagemcom 5866 5G Modem to be able to get 2.4G wifi? I tried it didn't work. Do you have other ways to make old smart devices working on 5G network?

9 REPLIES 9
BasilDV

Hi @ylia095

You can access the modem interface of the new 5G modem/router and change the name of the 2.4GHz for you to be able to connect your old devices.

Currently, the modem/router is using the same name for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz network due to band steering.

Using a computer that is connected to the 5G modem/router, open a web browser and go to 192.168.1.1. The login details should be available on the sticker on the device.

Once in, click on the 2.4GHz settings and change the name of it.

Let us know how it goes.

BasilDV

ylia095
Level 2

I have set new name for 2.4GHz wifi network and can find both 2.4GHz and 5GHz on my mobile phone. But I am not able to connect smart bulbs and plugs to the 2.4GHz. During the devices setup, they can find the 2.4GHz wifi network, but they failed to connect to it.

BasilDV

Hi @ylia095

What error message are you receiving when you tried to connect them? Did it ask for the password for the WiFi?

Is there any way to reset the old devices?

BasilDV

ylia095
Level 2

After I entered password for 2.4g wifi, message is showing (No internet access). Screenshot is attached. I also reset the device couple of times.

BasilDV

What is the make and model of your smart bulbs and plugs?

Have you tried hitting the connect button? If yes, what happened after you hit it? Does it say connected with your network name?

BasilDV

ylia095
Level 2

The bulb is from LIFX. Not sure what the model is. It is simmilar to LIFX Color 26 on current market.

The plug is from TP-Link. The model is HS100.

There is no connect button on the device. I just follow the mannual using app to connect them. During bulb connecting, it asked to select network. I seleted the 2.4G wifi which I just renamed it. It doesn't say connected to the wifi.

BasilDV

You may need to contact the support for the old smart bulbs and plugs as to identify if there's any missing piece for the settings.

If you want to test the old router you have and use it as an access point, then you may try the setup given by JovermarL on this article.

BasilDV

ylia095
Level 2

Hi BasilDV

I have used TPG as home internet provider for almost 20 years. I didn't want to switch to 5G network until TPG salesman convinced me the switch is smooth and no technician needed.  I am not technical person and i have spent whole day try to solve the problem. What is benifit to switch to 5G if the smart device isn't working with TPG 5G network? If the smart devices problem can not be solved, I am considering to switch back to NBN.

BasilDV

Hi @ylia095

If you are not able to follow the instructions, our team will be able to check this for you.

Shoot me a PM with your new customer ID (5G broadband account) along with your preferred time and best number to be contacted.

BasilDV