Overheating modem

mikewilliams122
Level 2

Hi

I called yesterday to mention my overheating modem and casing turning brown. I could not get a satisfactory answer out of the call centre. Best thing operator could advise was go and buy a new modem.

Will it catch fire, who knows, operator couldnt answer the question

Isnt it TPGs responsibilty to replace or do i have to change providers to get a new modem??

Thanks

Mike

5 REPLIES 5
Shane

Hi @mikewilliams122,

Modems are like any other electronic devices, it is not built to be running at all times. One of the reasons why we advise this is that when you leave your modem on for too long, it will tend to stop performing at its best. 

Rebooting the modem is one of the basic troubleshooting for most internet problems.

Nonetheless, we still want to do further checks on the equipment. How long has it been since you noticed that it's been getting some temp on it? 

Regards,

Hi

I called yesterday to mention my overheating modem and casing turning brown. I could not get a satisfactory answer out of the call centre. Best thing operator could advise was go and buy a new modem.

Will it catch fire, who knows, operator couldnt answer the question

Isnt it TPGs responsibilty to replace or do i have to change providers to get a new modem??

Thanks

Mike

mikewilliams122
Level 2
I will reset tomorrow and advise if overheating continues
Shane

Sure, @mikewilliams122.

Let us know how it goes. Feel free to shoot me a private message in the event that overheating still persists.

Regards,

I will reset tomorrow and advise if overheating continues

david64
Level 15

Really @Shane ? So, should we all turn our routers off for an hour a day to let them cool down. I have mine on 24/7 for months at a time with no problems.

Shane

Hi @david64,

It always depends on the situation, if we experience no problem you can leave it as it is. But it is recommend to atleast reboot the modem once in a while to maintain the speed and stability of the connection.

Regards,

Really @Shane ? So, should we all turn our routers off for an hour a day to let them cool down. I have mine on 24/7 for months at a time with no problems.