TPG Community

Get online support

Port forwarding not working on TP-link VR1600v

mingzt123
Level 2

Valheim. I've looked up guides on the internet and followed every step listed, as well as looking up port forwarding steps for my specific router. I asked the same question on a discord server and they were unable to help unfortunately.

david64
Level 15

@mingzt123 . Reading article by shacknews. It talks about Valheim Dedicated Server download from Steam. Also, only UDP ports are used so telnet won't work anyhow.

On the server, open a command window in adminstrator mode. Do    netstat -anb       . It shows the executable associated with open ports. Does the app show on any ports? Does it show in Task Manager?

mingzt123
Level 2

Valheim dedicated server shows on ports 2457 and 2458 with netstat -anb.

david64
Level 15

@mingzt123 . Port 2456 still missing. Were ports 2457 and 2458 only UDP or TCP as well?

Do these 2 ports show up in normal command window doing netstat -an because they didn't before?

Are these 2 ports enough for you to use the game client on your other computer?

mingzt123
Level 2

2457 and 2458 are UDP only, they do show up on netstat -an. Unfortunately those 2 ports arent open when I try to connect.

david64
Level 15

@mingzt123 . How do you configure the game client regarding the location of the game server?

mingzt123
Level 2

As far as I know it uses the external IP address of my network

david64
Level 15

@mingzt123 . Can you change the client to use the server's local ip address. If you specify a port, use one of the open ones.

mingzt123
Level 2

That isn't available to configure for the server, but the game tells me to use my local IP and port to connect to my server which doesnt work. None of the other ports work either.

david64
Level 15

@mingzt123 . In the game client config or the server config, if you refer to your public ip address, the forwarding rules have to be in place because you are referring to the internet side of the router.

When you installed the game server, did you follow the instructions that came with the game, or was there a wizard, or did you use some other guide?

Maybe a re-install and compare instructions with a third party (shacknews).

Your game client computer should have a fixed ip address because it goes in a config file to allow you to join your own game.

"Have friends join your server by inputing your external IP address into the Steam Server list"

This can be a problem because your external address changes from time to time. Seems like Steam has a list of game servers and players access various worlds via this list rather than just directly knowing the particular game server.

You need to setup DDNS so they can access your server via a URL name rather than ip address.