Replacement Modem

SOLVED Go to solution
cshall5
Level 3

I have a Huawei modem which has been giving me trouble since new. The main issue is that when streaming say Netflix, the connection will just stop without warning. I have an NBN 50 plan, and no other devices streaming, so bandwidth should not be a problem. When the problem occurs, all the lights on the HFC NBN termination device are on, but the internet light on the modem is off. The Netflix show recommences when I reboot the modem. I have recently restored factory settings, and I observed the configuraiton parameters downloading, and the service came back up ok, including the landline. However the next night, exactly the same problem occurred. Unless there is some known solution to this problem, I would like a replacement modem, preferably of a different type. Here are details of my existing modem:

Product type: HG659
Device ID: 00E0FC-J3N8W17A16919069
Hardware version: VER.B
Software version:V100R001C216B112

Please let me know how I can proceed. 

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
cshall5
Level 3

I received the call as arranged today, from a TPG technican. They confirmed the modem was faulty and have arranged to send a new modem. The person clearly knew what they were doing, and was very polite and helpful.  Thanks for the assistance. 

View solution in original post

Shane

Hi @cshall5,

We're glad to know that a new replacement modem has been arranged as a resolution. Do not hesitate to create a new thread here in our community in case you'll have queries in the future.

Regards,

I received the call as arranged today, from a TPG technican. They confirmed the modem was faulty and have arranged to send a new modem. The person clearly knew what they were doing, and was very polite and helpful.  Thanks for the assistance. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Shane

Hi @cshall5 ,

Thanks for raising this to us. I ran an initial test to the service it shows no line fault that could cause any issue on the service. 

When Netflix recommend to reboot the modem, any chance you can post the error message on this thread for additional reference? 

We'd like to confirm where do you watch Netflix? Is it on Smart TV connected via Wi-Fi? If so, this could be caused by Wireless Interference, here are some articles that you may find helpful.

Let us know how it will go.

Cheers!

cshall5
Level 3

Hi,

I watch Netflix using a Media PC (Windows 10) connected to my TV by HDMI. Netflix is the Windows App, not just running through a browser. The PC is connected directly to the modem/router by 1000Mb/s ethernet cable. Netflix does not give an error message, it just shows the rotating circle that I normally get when it is buffering at the start of a show. As Netflix is running on a PC, when the problem occurs, I have gone to the web browser to do a TPG speed test, and get a "no internet" response. As long as all the 4 lights are on in the NBN HFC termination device, rebooting the modem always seems to bring back the service. It is rare that I don't have 4 lights on the NBN HFC termination device, so the NBN seems reasonbably stable. Normally, when I do a speed test, I get minimum 42 Mbps. Recently, this has been as high as 52Mbps, so I don't think there is any problem with the speed. When Netflix stops, I also loose internet via WiFi on my phone. 

Shane

Thanks for the additional details, @cshall5.

Shoot me a private message with your best contact number and preferred time, I will have one of our Technicians contact you for real-time test and investigation on this particular issue. 

How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards,

Hi,

I watch Netflix using a Media PC (Windows 10) connected to my TV by HDMI. Netflix is the Windows App, not just running through a browser. The PC is connected directly to the modem/router by 1000Mb/s ethernet cable. Netflix does not give an error message, it just shows the rotating circle that I normally get when it is buffering at the start of a show. As Netflix is running on a PC, when the problem occurs, I have gone to the web browser to do a TPG speed test, and get a "no internet" response. As long as all the 4 lights are on in the NBN HFC termination device, rebooting the modem always seems to bring back the service. It is rare that I don't have 4 lights on the NBN HFC termination device, so the NBN seems reasonbably stable. Normally, when I do a speed test, I get minimum 42 Mbps. Recently, this has been as high as 52Mbps, so I don't think there is any problem with the speed. When Netflix stops, I also loose internet via WiFi on my phone. 

cshall5
Level 3

Shane

Hi @cshall5,

We're glad to know that a new replacement modem has been arranged as a resolution. Do not hesitate to create a new thread here in our community in case you'll have queries in the future.

Regards,