TPG Community

Get online support

Sagemcom Fast 5886T not working with Wifi Extender

TimTam
Level 2

Has anyone got the 5G Sagemcom Fast 5886T router/modem device working with any WiFi extender?

I cannot get my DLink DAP 1720 WIFI extender working with this device. Gone through all possible avenues to set it up from Factory resetting the devices, WPS connection, disabled Band Steering on the Sagemcom, changed the WIFI 6 to WIFI 5 mode and allocating a static IP Address (within in local IP address range) on the extender. Nothing seems to work.

The Extender picks up the new WIFI Access point name but cannot connect/allocate an IP Address for the extender to do it's thing.

The Wifi 6 on the Sagemcom can carry a signal to upstairs of my double brick townhouse. Showing me a false full WIFI bars of connectiong because running a speed test upstairs i am getting 300+ ping and lower than 1 Mpbs. None of my apps work well in this area, even internet browsing feels like a drag. So it no good for my working conditions compared to the reliability i had with NBN with my Wifi extender where everything was snappy and reliable. Speedtesting next to the Sagemcom i'm getting a brilliant 20 ping with 128 Mbps.

Tried testing the extender on the my previous router used for the NBN it worked fine straight away on a no frills Dynamic address allocation. I believe the Dlink DAP 1720 Wifi Extender could not be outdated hardware as WIFI 6 standard are backwards compatible.

Any help is appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
Shane

Hi @TimTam ,

Since you have performed most of the troubleshooting steps. Let us help coordinate this with our Technical Team to see if other options or settings that we can do to connect the DLink DAP 1720 WIFI extender to our supplied sagemcom modem. Could you shoot us a PM with your details?

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

Has anyone got the 5G Sagemcom Fast 5886T router/modem device working with any WiFi extender?

I cannot get my DLink DAP 1720 WIFI extender working with this device. Gone through all possible avenues to set it up from Factory resetting the devices, WPS connection, disabled Band Steering on the Sagemcom, changed the WIFI 6 to WIFI 5 mode and allocating a static IP Address (within in local IP address range) on the extender. Nothing seems to work.

The Extender picks up the new WIFI Access point name but cannot connect/allocate an IP Address for the extender to do it's thing.

The Wifi 6 on the Sagemcom can carry a signal to upstairs of my double brick townhouse. Showing me a false full WIFI bars of connectiong because running a speed test upstairs i am getting 300+ ping and lower than 1 Mpbs. None of my apps work well in this area, even internet browsing feels like a drag. So it no good for my working conditions compared to the reliability i had with NBN with my Wifi extender where everything was snappy and reliable. Speedtesting next to the Sagemcom i'm getting a brilliant 20 ping with 128 Mbps.

Tried testing the extender on the my previous router used for the NBN it worked fine straight away on a no frills Dynamic address allocation. I believe the Dlink DAP 1720 Wifi Extender could not be outdated hardware as WIFI 6 standard are backwards compatible.

Any help is appreciated.

TimTam
Level 2

Hey Shane

Who do i PM to in the technical team or you mean PM you?

Shane

Hi @TimTam ,

Send me a message with your details and I will coordinate this to our Technical Team to prioritise this case.

Regards,

Hey Shane

Who do i PM to in the technical team or you mean PM you?

mrhope
Level 2

I get the same issue too. I have tried 3 different extenders, Netcom, dlink, netgear all don't work. It was working with my old NBN connection. 

I called up TPG support before and the support advised it could be extender issue....

I believe this is a problem for everyone who had the 5G Sagemcom modem. Can we get some clarification from TPG team to provide some feedback through a common thread?

Angeli

Hi @mrhope

Welcome to TPG Community! 

We don't have any lists of the best WiFi extender for you to use, but you may check this discussion as it will provide you with some insights from the end users.

You may also check the WiFi Mesh system which is quite a trend right now. You may check this forum link for more information.

Cheers!

mrhope
Level 2

Hi Angeli,

Thanks for the info, however the links you provided is not quite relevant to my query as I was referring specifically to the 5G wireless product, the links you provided are for NBN, and the modem model is different.  Same as the above thread from user TimTam, he was also referring to the same 5G product/modem I was referring to. 

Before switching to that, I was using TPG's NBN product and that has no problem connecting to a WIFI Extender. But after signing up to the 5G wireless, I was provided with the Sagem modem which failed to connect to any WIFI extender. 

Hence, we all posted the same question, can TPG provided an extender list that is proven working with the 5G wirless Sagem modem? Or provide an investigation internally to test the issue? 

Let me know if you need any info from me.

Shane

Hi @mrhope ,

We will raise this with our Technical Team to check if our supplied modem for 5G home broadband supports Wi-Fi extender. Could you send us your details via PM?

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

Hi Angeli,

Thanks for the info, however the links you provided is not quite relevant to my query as I was referring specifically to the 5G wireless product, the links you provided are for NBN, and the modem model is different.  Same as the above thread from user TimTam, he was also referring to the same 5G product/modem I was referring to. 

Before switching to that, I was using TPG's NBN product and that has no problem connecting to a WIFI Extender. But after signing up to the 5G wireless, I was provided with the Sagem modem which failed to connect to any WIFI extender. 

Hence, we all posted the same question, can TPG provided an extender list that is proven working with the 5G wirless Sagem modem? Or provide an investigation internally to test the issue? 

Let me know if you need any info from me.