Slow internet on Wifi

kathy1725
Level 2

I'm subscribed to NBN50 and using Archer VR1600v modem. Recently I noticed my internet connection over Wifi is slow (kept lagging while streaming Netflix 4K) which was not an issue before. So I followed the steps outlined here and it turned out speed test over Wifi gave me ~28 Mbps meanwhile over Ethernet it would give me >50Mbps. Few months ago I used to get ~40 Mbps over Wifi.

Is there something wrong with my modem? Would upgrading the modem's firmware help?

3 REPLIES 3
david64
Level 15

Hi @kathy1725 .  Since your ethernet speed is ok, it might be the physical wifi speed between your wifi device and the router. On your device, in Settings, Wifi, tap the connection name. It should show you the wifi connection speed. For best speed, you should not be too far away from the router, and should use the 5GHz band. 

Otherwise, it might be signal interference causing slowdown. What is the signal strength from your router compared to others close by?

Here are some articles that might help improve your home WiFi network.

kathy1725
Level 2

Thanks @david64 for your reply. Using 5GHz unfortunately isn't an option since some of my devices do not support it. My wifi strength is at 83%, stronger than other Wifi around.

I didn't move the router physically so it might be something else since it used to be fine.

Interesting articles on the Wi-Fi channel - I might give it a try!

david64
Level 15

@kathy1725 . On the device showing 83%, what wifi connection speed does it show?

You can use a wifi PC to show nearby wifi networks, strength and channel with this command.

netsh wlan show all

On 2.4GHz network, use channel 1 or 6 or 11. These don't overlap with each other. Choose a channel that is not used by other strong networks.