TPG Community

Get online support

TP-Link Archer VR1600V - 5ghz failing/not working/dropping out - VOIP stops working - security risks

jjfabbsy
Level 2

Posting here because no luck getting any support/firmware upgrades in a reasonable time from TPG.....

I have now lost my VOIP service completely, screeches on my handset when I "dial" a number after the dial tone.

5ghz wifi not functioning properly at all. It will connect and then die after 30 seconds to a minute. 

It is not a channel issue, I have done scans using tools to find channels that are not busy (paid version of inSSider, as well as other tools) - as well as just trying every channel irrespective of whether they are busy or not - no luck. Have also experimented with every channel width option, "auto" - everything.

I then tried an extender (Nighthawk) to see if this would fix the issue - same issues occurred - with the Nighthawk reporting that the 5G was dropping out at the Archer. To ensure this wasn't an interference issue, I was able to get the Nighthawk to extend a 5ghz signal solidly from another source, reaching full speed in pretty much every corner of my house. The problem is clearly with the Archer.

There is something wrong with this modem, and it needs to be replaced - unfortunately as VOIP is locked to this modem, I am unable to try another brand apart from TPG's supplied modems. I was promised working VOIP with my connection, and TPG forces this modem to be used. They need to fix these issues, either by firmware or replacement.

If this does not occur, I am considering lodging a formal complaint with the TIO as I have been locked into a modem here that:

1) Constantly loses VOIP functionality with no warning

2) Has a defective 5ghz transmitter (this is proven by my testing and also forum posts)

3) Has a buggy firmware (same as above)

4) Is a security risk, due to Superuser (SU) credentials being freely posted on the internet - discovered whilst trying to do my own troubleshooting on this modem because TPG has done none for me. 

Has anyone got any other ideas to fix these issues?

1 REPLY 1
BasilDV

Hi @jjfabbsy 

Welcome to the Community!

We were able to locate your account using your community details and would like to arrange a call from our Tech team to check on the issue with your modem/router.

Please send me a PM with your preferred time and best number to be contacted.

How do I private message (PM) in the community?

BasilDV