TPG Community

Get online support

TP-Link Archer VR1600v V2.0 only works for about 5 minutes

benjamindundon
Level 3

Hi,

I've had my TP-Link Archer VR1600v that came with my TPG plan for probably about 2 years now. Of late, I've had some pretty severe connection instability with it, to the point where streaming audio or video became pretty frustrating. This came to a head today, when the router stopped working almost entirely. After a restart, it will work perfectly for <5 minutes (So I don't believe NBN is the problem here), and then all lights except the power light will turn off, and it will stop working entirely. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, it'll come back to life of its own accord for another couple of minutes, before returning to its dormant state. I've checked the logs, and there doesn't seem to be anything strange there in terms of warnings or connection volume, and the device isn't particularly hot to the touch. I am on

Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 220518 Rel.32480n

Any idea what's going on here? <2 years is a disappointingly short lifespan for a modem/router, so I really hope it's not dead...

5 REPLIES 5
BasilDV

Hi @benjamindundon

Aside from rebooting the device, have you tried to factory reset it via modem interface or the pinhole?

If not, you may try it first. Be advised that doing so, the settings will go back to default, but you can still change it once it is reconnected.

The firmware of your device is the latest one available.

BasilDV

benjamindundon
Level 3

Yeah, seems stable after that. I was hesitant to fully reset it, but it seems to have done the trick - here's hoping it stays that way!

BasilDV

This is noted @benjamindundon.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Cheers!

benjamindundon
Level 3
Unfortunately, after a little while of functional-but-still-bad performance, the modem has begun to have this issue again. It's really not that old, and it's not like I'm using it for any monumental amounts of data transfers, so I was wondering if TPG is able to replace it? If not, I may have to replace TPG.
Shane

Hi @benjamindundon 

Send us your details via PM to check the warranty status of the modem/router and see our options.

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

Unfortunately, after a little while of functional-but-still-bad performance, the modem has begun to have this issue again. It's really not that old, and it's not like I'm using it for any monumental amounts of data transfers, so I was wondering if TPG is able to replace it? If not, I may have to replace TPG.