TP-Link Deco M5

SOLVED Go to solution
wsqwin1005
Level 2

Hi guys,

I'm using NBN FTTC with the device TP-Link VR1600v at home. The modem is located in the kitchen which is too far for my master bedroom. I'm looking to buy TP-Link Deco M5 after some research. Is it easy to connect to the existing modem TP-Link VR1600v? I'm not so familar with tech things so please don't mind me asking. Thanks a lot in advanceSmiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PeterW

Hi,

That setup should be fine, once you have connected them use the app to complete the installation.

You should be able to use both the mesh wifi and the VR1600 wifi or turn off the VR1600 wifi on top of the router.

Keep in mind if you are using the VOIP service you need the VR1600 for your telephone handset.

Regards

PeterW

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PeterW

Hello wsqwin1005,

Thank you for your question and for being a part of the TPG Community.

You may need to enable the WPS function on your TPG modem to connect the DECO M5 device, I have attached a link that will help you do this.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/How-to-Enable-WPS-on-TP-Link-VR1600v/m-p/26199#M2...

Regards

PeterW

wsqwin1005
Level 2

Hi PeterW,

Thanks for your help. As I'm reading some posts, ppl mentioned bridge mode, could set up TP vr1600 to bridge mode and use the Deco M5 as main router? 

wsqwin1005
Level 2

Hi PeterW,

Could you please correct me if the following set up is wrong?

NBN NCD to TP Link vr1600's WAN port, and Deco M5 via ethernet cable to one of the LAN port on vr1600. Then I can turn off wifi feature on vr1600?123.png

PeterW

Hi,

That setup should be fine, once you have connected them use the app to complete the installation.

You should be able to use both the mesh wifi and the VR1600 wifi or turn off the VR1600 wifi on top of the router.

Keep in mind if you are using the VOIP service you need the VR1600 for your telephone handset.

Regards

PeterW

wsqwin1005
Level 2

Thanks a lot, I will do the setup once the delivery is here.