TPG Community

Get online support

TP-Link VX420-G2h router needs to be power cycled nearly every day - sometimes twice

philcolbourn
Level 2

My TP-Link wireless broadband router stops working and needs to be power cycled.

This occurs almost every day.

I placed it on a timer to power cycle each morning, but sometimes - once a week? - I have to manually power cycle it. So I now power cycle it 4 times a day!

Firmware Version:2.0.0 0.9 v603c.0 Build 210420 Rel.44185n Hardware Version:VX420-G2h v1 00000000

Anything I can change or new firmware or something else?

7 REPLIES 7
BasilDV

Welcome to the Community @philcolbourn.

May we know exactly what happens with your connection when you determine that you need to reboot the modem/router?

Your device currently has the latest firmware version available.

BasilDV

philcolbourn
Level 2
not much... we get no traffic to internet.
BasilDV

Hi @philcolbourn

Try to factory reset the modem/router and observe if the issue will recur.

Let us know how it goes for us to proceed further.

BasilDV

philcolbourn
Level 2

How do I save my config? I turn off everything I dont need and setup custom wifi and other settings - it will be annoying to have to reconfigure it... actually, why isn't this a feature?

BTW, My timer has not been working - user error - router has been up for 3 days since last power cyctel.

BasilDV

Hi @philcolbourn

The configuration of the modem/router will go back to default when you perform a factory reset.

The said feature is not supported as we provide special firmware for TPG provided modem/routers.

So the service is working without the need to reboot the modem/router? 

May we know exactly what we are aiming to resolve with your modem/router? Are you losing internet connection through the devices connected to the WiFi?

BasilDV

philcolbourn
Level 2

re saving config, this would be nice to have. being a custom firmware, it should be easy to get this feature enabled... no?

Router will lock-up again and I can't be home all day waiting for it lock-up so I can power cycle it - hence need for timer. Prior to 3 days ago, it was power cycling every day - you may be able to confirm this your logs.

Issue is not wifi, but ethernet in this case - I don't know if wifi is also affected. I can check next time.

I'll remove timer and let you know when it locks-up.

BasilDV

I see.

In case the issue recur, you may contact our Technical support team for real time testing and support.

Their direct number is 1300 997 271. If you are unable to reach our team, then shoot me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number to check this further.

BasilDV