TPG Community

Get online support

TPG Tp-Link AX1500 modem with USB media drive

Richie3971
Level 2

My old TPG supplied modem was as a TP-Link AC1600 (Archer VR1600v Ver2)

Since I have replaced my old modem in April, 2023 (it was constantly restarting), with a new TPG supplied moden being a TP-Link AX1500 (VX220 G2 Ver 2).

I have noticed two issues that I never had with my last two, older model modems.

1/ the USB plug in the modem allows either a 4G mobile back up device, or a USB hard drive for shared media files.

With the new AX1500 my USB extension cord of 1.8 meters long can no longer be used between my AX1500 and my USB drive. (it work for years on old modem) so im guessing the USB port does not supply enough power.

Question 1/ Would it be safe to plug a powered USB hub in USB extension cable? to allow my USB external drive to  work. USB drive does work if pluged directy into AX1500 with sort USB cable.

1/ So now I'm using the short USB cable to connect AX1500 to my media USB drive, but its now very flaky and connection to my TV (connected with Etherne tCat5e) drops out very often.

I have to log on to moden and re-enable share USB media drive.

Where it worked perfectly for  many years on my old modem.

Question2 / do you have any suggestionto fix the drop outs of the media usb network drive?

TP-Link Model AX1500  Hardware Version:VX220-G2v v2.0 00000000   Firmware Version:2.0.0 0.9 v603c.0 Build 220517 Rel.49186n 

Regards

Peter

3 REPLIES 3
Shane

Hi @Richie3971 ,

Have you tried to use a portable flash drive to connect to the modem? We will check with our engineering team if the modem's media usb hub supports only a flashdrive or external hard drive. 

As it is possible that there is a storage limitation that only support by the modem's media usb hub. 

Could you send us a PM with your details,  How to send a PM?

Regards,

Richie3971
Level 2

To Tpg Community

Hi Shane.

My portable usb drive Does connect, and I can share media around my house, But it drops out.

It is a large 5 TeraByte drive. But the old moden would connect to the exact same 5TB drive, even when using a USB extension cable, but this new Modem does not stay connected for over a few days (the old modem never lost my media connection)

So if you want me to do a test with a flash drive, with media on it, I will try.

Unless whatever caused my old modem to fail, effected my connected 5TB drive at the time. But the USB 5TB drive works normally when connected to either my TV, my FetchBox, and and when connect to a computer it also works fine.

It's not a huge concern, as I can move usb drive and connect direct to a TV.

I'm thankfull for your support, but if there is no easy fix, I'm not that worried.

Regards

Shane

Hi @Richie3971 ,

Thanks! I edited your post for security reasons. Let us try to use a flash drive and see if the issue persists. On the other hand, we will coordinate this with our engineers to confirm if the dropouts are due to the USB media limitation of the modem.

Regards,