TPG Community

Get online support

Upgrade my NBN Huawei HG659 with phone port - on FTTN - Please guys any model recommendations?

Mark7
Level 3

Hi guys,

I have an old 'Huawei HG659' with phone port (which I'd like to keep if I can - but if it goes not a show stopper) on TPG - NBN FTTN 100/20 with RJ11 phone plug coming in from copper phone line. I've had it for a few years now, so there must be some faster chipsets and more efficient modems out there?

I dont need wifi as I use a CAT6a cable it straight into my 'Goole Mesh'. So its really just a good modem with phone port that I'd like to replace that would be a straight'ish swap out.

Ive seen a few long modem/router lists on here (but some get bad reviews when you Google, so whats best/good?).

I would like to know if anyone has already done this, and has found good, modern reasonably model option that would do the job and give me roughly the same connections as the Huawei HG659 but with 2021'ish chipsets - happy to go up to ~$350 which I hope would get a reasonable good replacement?

Cheers in advance, Mark

2 REPLIES 2
david64
Level 15

Hi @Mark7 . If you use the TPG VOIP phone service, you have to use a router supplied by them.

Otherwise, you can get any router with RJ11 DSL connection and supports VLAN ID setting (as seen in Huawei settings).

TPG won't recommend one. There are several threads in Community about using third party routers.

This iiNet article contains links for several routers for FTTN showing how to set VLAN ID=2 (which is used by TPG FTTN). There may be other suitable models. (BYO Data only plan doesn't use VLAN ID.)

https://help.iinet.net.au/setting-common-non-iinet-supplied-modems-nbn-fttbn

All routers have wifi but it can be disabled.

Shane

Hi @Mark7,

We do not recommend any specific brand and model for TPG-NBN service as long as it is compatible with NBN Connection it should work.. Just to set your expectation the VoIP service that comes with TPG-NBN will only work using our supplied modem/router. I believe TPG no longer supply Huawei brands of modem/router but if you wish to speak with our Sales Team to get details for getting a brand new modem/router feel free to send me a Private Message with your best contact number and preferred time.

Regards,

Hi guys,

I have an old 'Huawei HG659' with phone port (which I'd like to keep if I can - but if it goes not a show stopper) on TPG - NBN FTTN 100/20 with RJ11 phone plug coming in from copper phone line. I've had it for a few years now, so there must be some faster chipsets and more efficient modems out there?

I dont need wifi as I use a CAT6a cable it straight into my 'Goole Mesh'. So its really just a good modem with phone port that I'd like to replace that would be a straight'ish swap out.

Ive seen a few long modem/router lists on here (but some get bad reviews when you Google, so whats best/good?).

I would like to know if anyone has already done this, and has found good, modern reasonably model option that would do the job and give me roughly the same connections as the Huawei HG659 but with 2021'ish chipsets - happy to go up to ~$350 which I hope would get a reasonable good replacement?

Cheers in advance, Mark