TPG Community

Get online support

VPN for the VR1600v useing NordVPN

akranda
Level 2

There have already been queries on using the Archer 1600V with NordVPN and the Italic's highlighted section below is copied from one of those discussion threads, albeit I can't find an answer to the final question "Does this mean that Nord VPN can in fact be configured on the VR1600v router?"

NordVPN installed on the Archer as a VPN client will then cover all devices on the network as only one user licence. This not only means things like smart TV's that may not be able to be programmed are protected but it leaves another 5 licences for mobile devices.

If the answer is yes it can be done can someone please explain (in simple terms) how.

I then have another problem I'm hoping to solve.

My current home network uses a Netgear NightHawk X4S D7800 modem/router and I have the Archer 1600V set up (hardwired) as a bridge to extend coverage. If the NordVPN client can be installed on the Archer will it be possible to reverse the current setup, i.e. use the Netgear as the bridge to extend coverage and basically just use the Archer as the modem router - with of course the NordVPN client installed.

Any thoughts / suggestions would be apprecaited, cheers

According to the Nord VPN website https://support.nordvpn.com/Connectivity/Router/1047409322/Setting-up-a-router-with-NordVPN.htm :

"For a VPN connection on your router to work, it has to support OpenVPN. Furthermore, it has to support it as a "Client" (as opposed to a "Server") to allow you to connect it to NordVPN servers."

Under VPN settings for my VR1600v, there does appear to be a configuration option for OpenVPN.  By default, the checkbox "Enable VPN Server" is deselected, so by this, I assuming it is operating as a client instead of a server, as specified by Nord.

Does this mean that Nord VPN can in fact be configured on the VR1600v router?

1 REPLY 1
Shane

Hi @akranda ,

Welcome to the community!

We do not have information about the Nord VPN. Hopefully someone our community can share some tips with your query. We also recommend to contact Nord VPN support for accurate troubleshooting

details.

Cheers!