TPG Community

Get online support

VPN setup - VR1600 + Archer11000 which setup

CHRISSO007
Level 2

Hi All,

Gnd.Floor: VR1600 Modem/Router (no VPN firmware anymore)

- HandsFree Phone unit connected by RJ12 cable to the VR1600.

- 1No.computer connected by CAT8 cable to VR1600

- adj.wall has TP-Link Powerline adapter cabled to VR1600.

1st.Floor: Archer AX11000 Gaming Router with VPN firmware.

- 1No.computer connected by CAT8 cable to Archer AX11000

- adj.wall has TP-Link Powerline adapter cabled to Archer AX11000

Note: The powerline adapters connect thru the house to each other

Should the VR1600 be setup in bridge mode to the Archer AX11000 (making the VR1600 a pure modem) meaning only 1 device can be connected to the LAN port (AX11000) [or should this be thru the WAN port ?] the rest of my client devices would be wired or wireless to the AX11000 ?

Would i lose voip functionality in the bridge mode?

If i set the AX11000 as an Access point, i could keep the voip of the VR1600v but now i can't setup any VPN since the VR1600v doesn't have no VPN anymore.

In setting up in either BRIDGE or ACCESS PT. would the AX11000 be the DHCP server and Main router of my network? Would i lose any speed having the VR1600 as my first pt.connection to the AX11000 (which is a faster router) ?

I would like to use the AX11000 VPN firmware with OpenVPN for my android / iphone / TV, etc. or may be it's better to pay say Express VPN from the outset....not too sure which way to go (any advise would be taken on board).

I'm just trying to get the best way to make sure all of the above works.  ie. Security, streaming, etc.

Chris 007

1 REPLY 1
david64
Level 15

Hi @CHRISSO007 . My thoughts on some of your proposal.

Do you have this network set up already in some fashion or is this what you envisage having?

Some things from looking at the manual:
it shows an "adapter" unit is connected to the main router; one or more "extenders" are plugged in around the house. Would the slave upstairs use an adapter or extender? The AX11000 wifi might be strong enough for all upstairs.
I thought I saw somewhere that the powerline devices have to be on the same electrical circuit (so it doesn't go back thru switchboard), but I can't find that now.

To use TPG's VOIP function, the VR1600 has to be in DHCP mode and be connected to the telephone wall socket.
So AX11000 would be in access point mode (DHCP disabled). Set its ip address to 192.168.1.2. Connect the cable from VR1600 (from the extender) to the WAN port in the first instance. If doesn't work, use a LAN port. At this point, a device on each router should be able to connect to the admin of the other router.

You should check if the AX11000 OpenVPN server can be enabled in access point mode. The VR1600 would have to port forward whatever port you use to the AX11000, which would have its own ip address.

(If you don't want VOIP function, you could replace the VR1600 with something that does have OpenVPN.)

My understanding is that OpenVPN is a server to allow you to access your home network from the internet, eg. network attached storage, CCTV camera. You also install OpenVPN client on remote device. You might want the opposite function. Install client software on your devices to direct all device network traffic through to the remote VPN server.

IP addressing. Every device will be on same subnet as Master (VR1600), ie. 192.168.1.x. I see some 192.168.0 and "10" addresses. The "Internet Gateway" ip address is something in the network outside.

Load testing.
Set up each router in stand-alone mode. Connect a computer by cable to each one in turn.
Do these ping tests.
ping -n 10 192.168.1.1
ping -n 10 -l 32000 192.168.1.1 (hyphen small L for length)
Do the tests again when both routers are directly connected. Use a computer connected to slave to ping master.
Then connect both routers through powerline. Do ping tests again. This should give an idea of delays to be expected.