TPG Community

Get online support

VX220-G2v - poor range

SOLVED Go to solution
Pnomis
Level 2
Hi
Recently moved house and had to change from a FTTP to FTTB NBN connection, resulting in the need for a new router, the VX220-G2V - something to do with needing to use the phone port on the back of the router.
The range of the network is terrible - in my small apartment, so I have been looking at options for increasing the range.
Started looking at range extenders, but hadn’t realised I’d need to manually change my connection between the main and extended networks. This is not a good solution. Then I stumbled across mesh networks - onemesh, deco mesh, both of which were new to me, and sounded like the way to go. However, it seems that these might not be compatible with the VX220 router; can anyone please confirm. If not compatible, what are my options?
As I understand it, I have to use the VX220 router to maintain my nbn connection…
I’d be very grateful for any assistance.
Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

Hi @Pnomis . With FTTP, the phone connects to the NBN box. With other types, you need a TPG supplied router with phone port. If you don't use the VOIP phone function, you can use some other router, although it must have a RJ11 DSL port for FTTB connection.

You could use a longer phone cord (15m or 20m) to allow you to reposition the router to a better spot. Run the cable around the edge of the room.

Many users are using a mesh system. Put   mesh   into Community search bar. Also internet search for mesh routers.

If you use the VOIP phone, the VX220 has to be the main router and any other router is only an Access Point.

If you don't use it, the VX220 could be put into Bridge mode and the other router would operate as a wireless router with all its functions.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
david64
Level 15

Hi @Pnomis . With FTTP, the phone connects to the NBN box. With other types, you need a TPG supplied router with phone port. If you don't use the VOIP phone function, you can use some other router, although it must have a RJ11 DSL port for FTTB connection.

You could use a longer phone cord (15m or 20m) to allow you to reposition the router to a better spot. Run the cable around the edge of the room.

Many users are using a mesh system. Put   mesh   into Community search bar. Also internet search for mesh routers.

If you use the VOIP phone, the VX220 has to be the main router and any other router is only an Access Point.

If you don't use it, the VX220 could be put into Bridge mode and the other router would operate as a wireless router with all its functions.

Pnomis
Level 2
Thanks so much for your response; it certainly cleared up my misunderstanding around which routers could be used. I have replaced my existing router with a FTTB-friendly mesh system today.