TPG Community

Get online support

Very slow 5G modem speeds

Steve887
Level 2

For the last week or so I have been getting extremely low speeds from the Sagemcom 5G modem. When I first got the modem I was getting 70-80mbps with the occasional dips. However recently it has dropped to 1-2mbps with the modem in the same location, no other changes to my setup or interference.

I have tried the usual 5G troubleshooting or resetting the modem, moving it to different locations, I even tried moving it outside where it didn't get a 5G signal at all.

I have contacted TPG support before and was advised I am right on the edge of usable range for the closest tower, but I'm not sure why the speeds are so intermittent. Does anyone have any advice for how to improve speeds, or why the speeds are so intermittent?

3 REPLIES 3
Shane

Hi @Steve887 

Let us help check what causing the slow connection to the service. Could you shoot us a PM with your details to better understand the situation?

How to send a PM?

Regards,

Very slow 5G modem speeds

For the last week or so I have been getting extremely low speeds from the Sagemcom 5G modem. When I first got the modem I was getting 70-80mbps with the occasional dips. However recently it has dropped to 1-2mbps with the modem in the same location, no other changes to my setup or interference.

I have tried the usual 5G troubleshooting or resetting the modem, moving it to different locations, I even tried moving it outside where it didn't get a 5G signal at all.

I have contacted TPG support before and was advised I am right on the edge of usable range for the closest tower, but I'm not sure why the speeds are so intermittent. Does anyone have any advice for how to improve speeds, or why the speeds are so intermittent?

Steve887
Level 2

After talking to Shane, no result has been achieved, the same as when I talked to support the first time.

So I'll put it to the community, is there anything else I can do? The speeds have been around 1mbps for over a week now.

david64
Level 15

Hi @Steve887 . There's no manual for the Sagemcom on the internet.

How many signal bars are lit? Are they green?

Are there any 5G wireless statistics displayed (like the DSL stats on a normal router)?

Anything in the Sagemcom system log, apart from DHCP messages relating to your devices?

Any displays relating to quality of service or bandwidth control?

Speed tests should be done with an ethernet computer because that gives the most reliable results.

I was going to say to run the speed test on TPG support page, but it is down at the moment.

You can try some simple performance tests using ping and tracert commands.

Ping the Sagemcom:     ping -n 20 192.168.1.1

Response time should be a consistent 1 ms. 

With a bit of load:     ping -n 20 -l 65000 192.168.1.1

65KB data length. Response time 5 ms. You can run multiple command windows; 3 windows gave max response time 7 ms, mainly still 5 ms.

Check response time to TPG:     ping -n 20 tpg.com.au

Repeat with the -l 65000 parameter.

Check routing delays:     tracert tpg.com.au

I don't know what times you will get with the last 2 commands.