TPG Community

Get online support

Warning-5G home broadband - 2.4GHz devices CAN NOT connect to Sagemcom 5866T Modem 2.4GHz

kgdoctor
Level 2

Hi All in the community,
Just a heads up for anyone who is considering signing up to the 5G home broadband (the salesman will contact you anyway if you have been a loyal customer for years). If you do not want to upgrade any of your current devices (2.4GHz) for example printer, smart lights, security camera etc. to the 5GHz ones, you need to think again. I do not think I am the only lucky one here, but after spending 1.5 hours consultation with the friendly TPG IT technician on the phone, the advice was I needed to contact the printer manufacturer to resolve the connectivity problem.
Don’t get me wrong, the 5G is surely faster than the NBN, only if you can swallow the issue as I warn you above. I guess TPG can do something slightly better such as posting a proven step-by-step instruction how to connect the 2.4GHZ devices to the Sagemcom modem. Better yet, let the customer know the potential issue before singing up the 5G home broadband. Well, surely the later is not in the salesman's protocol. 

5 REPLIES 5
kgdoctor
Level 2

am i the only lucky one?

BasilDV

Hi @kgdoctor 

The security protocol for the Sagemcom modem/router is set to WPA2-WPA3 mode only.

If your devices are compatible to connect to the said security protocol, then you'll be able to use it.

If not, then you may use the old modem/router (if you still have it) and set it as an access point for you to be able to connect the old devices.

BasilDV

kgdoctor
Level 2

sounds like the solution. But do you have the step-by-step for me to try out please? @BasilDV 

Shane

Hi @kgdoctor ,

You simply need to connect the old router via from the sagemcom's LAN port and connect the other end to the LAN port of the router extension. Make sure that the 2nd router's DHCP and NAT is disabled to work.

Regards,

sounds like the solution. But do you have the step-by-step for me to try out please? @BasilDV 

vinhnhw1
Level 2

Hi team I have the same issue. When will this be solved please? 

And if I do what you said with the old router how do I make sure that DHCP and NAT is disabled? 

If we cant solve this isse I will have to change operator which I dont want to. 

Thank you. Regards