TPG Community

Get online support

Why do I have to use the Archer VR1600v ?

SOLVED Go to solution
Will

Hi @tangming82gz,

The WAN port is indeed the red one at the back of your Dlink modem. It is also labeled "WAN".

Simply put, just connect an ethernet cord from the WAN port of your Dlink modem and then connect it to any available LAN ports in the TPG supplied modem.

To configure the settings:

1. Make sure you're logged in to your Dlink page (192.168.1.1)
  2. Go to Settings then select Internet
  3. Choose Residential Gateway under Access Type
  4. In the IPV4 settings section, select Dynamic IP (DHCP) for "My Internet Connection Is"
  5. Save the Settings.

There's no need to manually assign IP address. You can just let the Dlink automatically assign an IP address on its own.

tangming82gz
Level 2

Hi Will

thanks very much.

In configuration do I have to reset to default before going to setting and select internet?

im currently using this modem for my ADSL2+

also, should I create a ssid for the DLINK as the access point?

@Will wrote:

Hi @tangming82gz,

The WAN port is indeed the red one at the back of your Dlink modem. It is also labeled "WAN".

Simply put, just connect an ethernet cord from the WAN port of your Dlink modem and then connect it to any available LAN ports in the TPG supplied modem.

To configure the settings:

1. Make sure you're logged in to your Dlink page (192.168.1.1)
  2. Go to Settings then select Internet
  3. Choose Residential Gateway under Access Type
  4. In the IPV4 settings section, select Dynamic IP (DHCP) for "My Internet Connection Is"
  5. Save the Settings.

There's no need to manually assign IP address. You can just let the Dlink automatically assign an IP address on its own.

Will

Hi @tangming82gz,

There's no need to reset the modem. That way, you can keep the current WIFI settings.

BradS71
Level 2

Hi @Will 

Does this advice still apply?  I have just received my Archer VR1600v today and was about to connect it all up  to the NBN in place of the D-Link DSL-2888A as per @tangming82gz , but before I did I had a quick look online at the specs for the Archer and found a common comment that the WIFI is not great.  Therefore if I understand your advice the D-Link then is providing the WIFI and the Archer is simply the connection to the NBN.  I don't believe the D-Link is VOIP capable so if I connect as per your instructions, can I still use the VOIP via the Archer but WIFI via the D-Link?