TPG Community

Get online support

Wifi Faster than Ethernet

catskinner
Level 2

My brother is using an xbox one connected to the wifi. When he is downloading a game he is hitting much higer speeds than I am. This morning he hit 35mbs.

I am using an ethernet cable running sraight into my desktop. When I am downlaoding a game and no one else is on the internet I hit 1.4Mbs MAX. 

This is using the coveted NBN network. 

Why is his xbox running off wifi receiving much much, faster speeds than I am using a wired connection.

The router we are using is a HG659. 

These speeds for a wired connection on NBN are not acceptable. And my parents don't know any better. I have come home after 4 years overseas to back home and know they are NOT getting what they are paying for.

Ethernet connections should be faster than Wifi. I cant help but feel we are getting throttled connections. 

I have heard updating firmware on the router can help. How do I do this?

If it doesn't work and the speeds remain the same, then what is the next step?

1 REPLY 1
BasilDV

Hi @catskinner,

Welcome to TPG Community!

We tried to locate your account using your community details to no avail.

Just to clarify, the Xbox is connected via WiFi to the same modem/router as the computer, right?

If it is, then if we are throttling the speed of your NBN, then the Xbox will not be able to achieve the speed of 35Mbs.

Also, we don't do such thing to the service of our customers as long as they are under the unlimited data plan. The actual throughput speeds may be slower and could vary due to many factors including type/source of content being downloaded, hardware and software configuration, the number of users simultaneously using the network and performance of interconnecting infrastructure not operated by TPG.

Regards,

BasilDV