arris 8200 modem

fionaieraci
Level 3
Hi guys I have an Assus rtac88u router plugged into the arris 8200 so I can stream via my express VPN account ( i us content) and in the bedroom I have a Telstra tv Roku device that I have been using to stream Stan abc and sbs now I can't do the latter anymore because it has to go through the mobem without the VPN so I can get local stations my problem is I can't plug two routers into the arris even though there are two Ethernet ports and it is a hassle having to either go online to the Assus homepage and disconnect the VPN or unplug one and plug the other in also we often use both at the same time my wife in the bedroom on the ABC and me in the lounge room on HULU will a network box allow us to have two routers plugged into the arris or do I need to replace the arris for a modem with one with more than one port if the later can someone suggest a replacement for the arris 8200 preferably an Assus if possible
3 REPLIES 3
Shane

Hi @fionaieraci

The NBN Arrix box only has 1 available Ethernet port, if it happens that your NBN box does have 2 available Ethernet ports, only the UNI-D 1 will work.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Cheers!

fionaieraci
Level 3
It does have two ports and your right only the top one works the other is tapped over I have done a bit of research and have found out in order to use the second port TPG would need to provide it will an IP address but also goes on to say that not all internet providers would do that what about a network switch would that enable us to have two routers working at the same time
Shane

Hi @fionaieraci,

The Arris box belongs to NBN Co. and they designed it to only have 1 available port. Therefore, we cannot activate or assign an IP on the 2nd Ethernet port. I am not sure about the network switch if it will work, but we will only assign 1 IP address to your connection.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Cheers!