TPG Community

Get online support

connect TPG Archer VR 1600v modem to my Asus RT-AC88U

Peterdb
Level 3

I want to connect my TPG Archer VR 1600v modem to my Asus RT-AC88U.

The reason I want to do this is my ASUS RT-AC88U does not have phone ports so I want to be able to use me best modem the ASUS RT-AC88U and have my TPG Archer VR 1600v to use for the phone connections and additional ports.

Can someone please explaine how I can do this, 

Sorry but I will need very detailed instrustions as I am not very good at setting these things up 

Many thanks

3 REPLIES 3
sajalm

Hi @Peterdb ,

Welcome to the community,

I am not sure how your Asus router is set up but if you use any LAN port from TP link and than connect to Asus Router WAN port, it should work. 

Regards,

Sajal

Peterdb
Level 3

Thanks for your reply but i had previously looked things up on the Internet and it says i should change things in both mdems like disable DHCP and chanfe IP addresses ect ? otherwise i will get problems and conflicts??

Also I want the Asus modem to me my main modem?

Shane

Hi @Peterdb,

You can use the ASUS as the main modem but we'd like to set your expectation as the Home Phone component of your bundle is encrypted for security, you will need to use our modem if you are to make and receive phone calls

On the other hand, if you wish to use the ASUS as an extender, the DNS settings for the router should be set on "Automatically Receive DNS IP address" make sure the your ASUS router is connected to the LAN1 and the connection mode is on "DHCP".

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Regards, 

Thanks for your reply but i had previously looked things up on the Internet and it says i should change things in both mdems like disable DHCP and chanfe IP addresses ect ? otherwise i will get problems and conflicts??

Also I want the Asus modem to me my main modem?