network switch

fionaieraci
Level 3
Can anyone tell me if a network switch will enable me to plug two routers into an arris 8200 modem and have use of both routers simultaneously one router using a VPN and the other without a VPN
5 REPLIES 5
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @fionaieraci I understand what you want to do but it's not possible as you can only have 1 router connected to your single WAN connnection. You can however be connected via VPN on a device at the same time as a non VPN device using the same single router.

fionaieraci
Level 3
Hi thanks for your response this is Roy Fiona's husband I know you can use the same router with a VPN and without one but that entails logging in to the routers home page and disconnecting the VPN which is just a bit to much for my wife to do also I would like to be able to use both at the same time before we got NBN we had an Optus Modem which has 4 additional ports plus as it was a modem /router I was able to have the Assus with the VPN plugged into it and logon via Wi-Fi to the Optus modem /router with the other Roku device so we could both stream at the same time one being US content and the other being local content so I was hoping to have the same setup with NBN but it sounds like I am going to need to buy a new cable modem / router to achieve this can you suggest one that I could simply plug in without to much hassle with changing the settings on? I do thank you for your response rgds Roy and Fiona
fionaieraci
Level 3
Hi again I just reread your response you mentioned that you can be connected to a router via a VPN and also without a VPN at the same time how do you do that?
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @fionaieraci If you were to use the VPN client on the device you are using to view, it would leave the router free for normal internet access, for example my wife can be watching Netflix AU on the lounge room HTPC whilst I could be streaming an EU news feed via VPN on an iPad in the same room. I simply use the VPN client built into iOS or Open VPN.

If your streaming device doesn't allow for setting a VPN configuration then yes you're in a bind for having to use the router's config. I'm not familiar with the Roku streaming player.

fionaieraci
Level 3
I understand what you are saying but unfortunately Roku devices don't allow a VPN you need to have it through the router but you have given me food for thought so I goggled it and you can use a router with a VPN and without at the same time it entails adding another router to it and signing up with a DNS server and changing the IP address on the second router just as well I have a couple of spare TP Link routers to muck around with it sounds a bit fiddly though so it is going to be a project for Anzac day I'll keep you posted if you like who knows it may even help someone else thanks again for your help 😊 rgds Roy