router port settings

SOLVED Go to solution
mar_au
Level 2

Hi. I am trying to setup some home automation (the Wiser Hub by Schneider Electric). In the documentation I am told to check that the following router ports are open:

MQTT: Port 8883

UDP: Port 6667

TCP: Port 6668

HTTPS: Port 443 

I have a TP Link Archer VR1600v. But can not see how to do this. I tried NAT Forwarding / Virtual Servers.. but the only protocols are TCP and UPD. Either way even when I try to get 6667 working (as either TCP, UDP or ALL) I can not see it is open at  https://canyouseeme.org/

Any assistance would be appreciated - thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

@mar_au . I think it is better to reserve the ip address outside the 100-199 range used for dynamic addresses. There might be a conflict with other devices.

(I suggested 10 as 4th number in ip address but you chose 107 so wondering if your commands used the same number each time, 10 or 107.)

Advanced, Network, LAN Settings, Client List shows all connected devices.

In virtual servers, leave the service type blank. The interface name has to be the one shown in Advanced, Status.

You need to setup Dynamic DNS so you can find your home network from the internet using a hostname rather than your wan ip address.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
david64
Level 15

Hi @mar_au . You are in the right place. 

For each port, just allow both protocols. MQTT is a protocol for IoT devices but still uses TCP or UDP.

The Wiser hub should have a reserved ip address on the VR1600, outside dynamic dhcp range, say 192.168.1.10.

When the hub is connected, you can try to connect to it from your local computer. Open a command window and do the command:

ping 192.168.1.10                          (or whatever address you chose)
telnet 192.168.1.10 8883                     

If the hub is working, you'll get a blank command window.

Try ports 443 and 6668; telnet can't check UDP port. (Maybe canyouseeme.org can't check it either.)

You can also try   https://www.whatismyip.com/port-scanner/

mar_au
Level 2

Wow @david64 this is great. Thank you so much. I have followed your reply, but have some more questions/comments (sorry in advance!)..

I have reserved the The Wiser hub ip address on the VR1600 in Network > Address Reservation @ 192.168.1.107. 

I can see this from the VR1600 Network > Address Reservation > MAC Scan, as well via apps "angry IP scanner" and "fing".

But, when I try to ping 192.168.1.107 I get a "Request timed out."

I have also set up NAT Forwarding > Virtual Servers for all four ports.. SEE ATTACHED.

That said when I telnet 192.168.1.10 6668 I get a blank command window - which according to you is a good thing.

But if I try to telnet to 8883, 6667 or 443 I get the message "Connecting To 192.168.1.107...Could not open connection to the host, on port XXX: Connect failed".

What have I missed? Again, thanks in advance.

david64
Level 15

@mar_au . I think it is better to reserve the ip address outside the 100-199 range used for dynamic addresses. There might be a conflict with other devices.

(I suggested 10 as 4th number in ip address but you chose 107 so wondering if your commands used the same number each time, 10 or 107.)

Advanced, Network, LAN Settings, Client List shows all connected devices.

In virtual servers, leave the service type blank. The interface name has to be the one shown in Advanced, Status.

You need to setup Dynamic DNS so you can find your home network from the internet using a hostname rather than your wan ip address.

mar_au
Level 2

Thanks David. You were on the money! All those suggestions fixed the problem. Really appreciate all the help.