Huawei Hg659

Amit
Level 2
The PPPOE settings on Huawei hg659 is still showing tpg username and password.

I have TPG supplied Huawei HG659 modem which is NBN competible. I finished my contract with tpg and recently moved to Tangerine FTTN NBN plan.
This modem has pre saved tpg username and password which can’t be deleted.
I tried doing the reboot, factory reset and hard reset but it’s still showing the tpg username and password.

I also tried putting the ISP username and password provided by Tangerine in PPPOE settings but had no luck with the internet.
My internet connection is still down.

Is it because this modem is pre configured by tpg and is locked.

Could someone please unlock this modem from your end or do the firmware update so that I can delete the pre configured tpg username and password and start using the new one.

PS: My previous contract details with tpg:
Customer ID: 5825858

7 REPLIES 7
david64
Level 15

@Amit . The router is not locked to TPG. The problem might be with the VLAN ID difference between TPG and Tangerine.

VLAN ID Settings:  
NBN ordered 1st June 2017 onwards Disabled / not active
NBN ordered pre-1st June 2017 VLAN ID 100

You need to disable the VLAN function or change it to 100.

murcod
Level 2
@david64 where are the VLAN settings in the HG659 menu? I'm having the same problem and the tech support is suggesting there's a VLAN lock on the modem.
murcod
Level 2
@Amit did you end up fixng it?
david64
Level 15

Hi @murcod . A factory reset on TPG-supplied router always takes it back to TPG settings but username etc can be changed to suit.

This is the only info for HG659 on vlan. Many routers put VLAN ID in the IPTV section.

Will be trial and error. 

Don't know what options are available in step 6.

Step 7 is for ADSL not NBN.

1. Log in to the web management page.
2. Choose Internet > IPTV Service.
3. In IPTV Setup, select Enable IPTV.
4. In Access type, select your IPTV access type.
5. In LAN Interface, select a LAN port for IPTV service.
6. In Connection type, select your IPTV connection type.
7. In VPI/VCI, enter the VPI and VCI parameters provided by your network service provider.
8. Enable the VLAN and enter the VLAN id provided by your network service provider.
If your network service provider doesn't provide the VLAN, you don't need to enable the
VLAN.
9. Click Save.

murcod
Level 2
Thanks @david64 .
I've just checked and I don't have any IPTV options under the Internet tab (or any of the sub options in there.)
I found an online manual for the HG659B (mine appears to be a B model) and it said what you posted above as well.
I'm guessing there's some sort of custom firmware loaded on it?
Between the modem and questionable help/ advice from the new ISP I'm not 100% sure what's at fault.
I can change the user account info on it to what i was told the new account is, but it doesn't appear to accept it as valid data.
I can see a new modem not being the fix....
david64
Level 15

@murcod . You will be better off with a modern router; see the extensive list on Tangerine's web site. It will probably have a better set of features.

https://www.tangerinetelecom.com.au/help/list-of-byo-compatible-nbn-modem-routers

Choose a model that has a good user manual available.

If you used the VOIP phone with TPG, that part of the HG659 was locked and it would not work with another provider.

The HG659 could be used as a cabled extender to the new router.

murcod
Level 2
Thanks for your help.