TPG Community

Get online support

NBN100 Speeds - Speedtest vs Experience

travisgeldard
Level 2

Hi,

I was wondering if you could explain why whenever I run a speedtest on my service I return results within the correct range (over 100mbps down, 20 or more up) however when downloading from places like Steam or Microsoft my speed caps out around 15mbps. I have witnessed both friends computers and work computers downloading from these sites at much higher rates (such as the 100mbps I am paying for with my service). It appears that it is only my TPG connection that doesn't hit those speeds. Are you throttling speed access but whitelisting speedtest sites to give people the impression they have faster internet than you actually provide?

1 REPLY 1
Shane

Hi @travisgeldard ,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we'd like to confirm the troubleshooting you have performed.

Also, are you using a desktop/laptop connected via LAN/Ethernet or Wi-Fi?

In the event that the affected devices are connected Wireless/Wi-Fi connection, we recommend having a read on the following articles:

• Troubleshooting a Slow Internet Connection

• Easy Steps to Improve Wi-Fi Connection In Your Home

• Wireless Channel on your modem - what is it and why should I change it.

For additional reference please post the screenshot of the actual download speed of the service and download speed on Steam. 

Let us know how it will go.

Cheers!

@travisgeldard wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if you could explain why whenever I run a speedtest on my service I return results within the correct range (over 100mbps down, 20 or more up) however when downloading from places like Steam or Microsoft my speed caps out around 15mbps. I have witnessed both friends computers and work computers downloading from these sites at much higher rates (such as the 100mbps I am paying for with my service). It appears that it is only my TPG connection that doesn't hit those speeds. Are you throttling speed access but whitelisting speedtest sites to give people the impression they have faster internet than you actually provide?