TPG Community

Get online support

New home NBN connection with phone

dmccullo
Level 2

Hi,

I have been a TPG ADSL customer for 10 years but it's time to switch to NBN.  I want to keep my current very expensive and very configurable ASUS router/ multiple AP setup as the TPG supplied hardware does not have the functionality to replicate my configuration.  As I understand from TPG tech support and reading sofar, the hardware supplied by TPG will not allow me to do this if I want a voip service as well as the voip settings are hardcoded into the supplied hardware and TPG will not release the data required to configure BYO hardware. The easiest solution as suggested by TPG technical support would be to use the TPG supplied hardware as an ATA  with router/modem functionality disabled and use another modem in bridge mode to connect to TPG NBN.  Will TPG supply me with two modems so that I can stay with TPG?  The other alternative is to use a different NBN provider that does allow configuration of 3rd party hardware to access VOIP.  I'm sure there are many others in this same situation.

1 REPLY 1
Shane

Hi @dmccullo,

Welcome to the community!

The modem we provide is a world-class standard modem and we’ve optimised the setup to complement our specifically configured modem settings. It is a reliable and efficient modem. We provide the modem for all our NBN plans as they are sold as an Internet & Home Phone Bundle. As the Home Phone component of your bundle is encrypted for security, you will need to use our modem if you are to make and receive phone calls. Our modem is also pre-configured for internet access Some customers who do not use the home phone component of our bundle sometimes prefer to use their own NBN compatible modem. If this is the case, then our after sales support team can provide you with the settings required to configure your 3rd party modem with the settings required to access the internet.

But you can try to bridge your 3rd party modem/router to our supplied modem. By doing this the home phone service will still work.

You can check this article for reference: Connect Asus RT-AC88U to Huawei HG659

Regards,