Poor cable speed

NBWilliam
Level 2

I have a superspeed cable NBN connection but lately it has been up and down - sometimes I have an acceptable download and upload,  but moments later it can be down to as much as 0.5MB so no TV or internet connection - particularly with working from home at present.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, any solutions?

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
KarlB

Hi @NBWilliam 

Welcome to the community,

Could you please send me a PM (private message) with your Full Name, CID (customer identication number) and your mobile phone number, so I can take a look at your service?

Regards,

Karl

NBWilliam
Level 2

Hi Karl,

How do you send a PM in this forum?

Tanks,

Bill

KarlB

Hi @NBWilliam 

You can send me a PM by clicking on my username "KarlB" above and clicking "Send a Message"

Regards,

Karl

KarlB

Hi @NBWilliam 

I have checked your service and all the tests are passing at the moment.

-Your service hasn't dropped in the last 2 days and 18 hours / your speed looks good

What times are you noticing your speed drop?

What devices are you running your speedtest on?

How many devices do you have connected?

Are you connecting via Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable?

What speed do you get when the speed is acceptable and not acceptable? (Please use below speedtest and provide the results)

http://tpg.speedtestcustom.com/

If you are connecting via Wi-Fi, I recommend you have a read through the below guide on improving your Wi-Fi around your Home:

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Easy-Steps-to-Improve-Wi-Fi-Connection-In-Your-Hom...

Regards,

Karl

NBWilliam
Level 2

I just lost the internet completely for several minutes, when it reconnected, I ran two speed tests, the first one had:

Ping 13

DL 4.2

UL 25.9

The second test:

Ping 23

DL 12

UL 21.1

Both of these results are not acceptable.

My Desktop is connected by cable and usually there are two devices wi-fi connected. The speed test was done on my desktop using the link you provided.

Brgds,

Bill

KarlB

Hi @NBWilliam 

Does your desktop computer connect direct to your TPG router/modem and then direct to the NBN NTD UNI-D1 Port?

Or do you have other network devices in your setup?

Regards,

Karl

NBWilliam
Level 2

Yes.  Also there is a second wireless router downstairs - it is connected via the electricity sockets. We use that for laptops downstairs and also for the smart TV.

KarlB

Hi @NBWilliam 

When I check the speed from our end it is indicating you are currently getting around 80Mbps down. This is a big difference to your speedtest results.

Are you able to turn off all devices including your second wireless router downstairs? Leaving only your desktop powered on, and make sure your desktop is connected direct to your TPG router/modem and rerun your speedtests?

To me it sounds like a device on your network is using your bandwidth lowering your speedtest results

Regards,

Karl

NBWilliam
Level 2

Hi Karl,

I think the problem might be the desktop - I am getting better results on my wi-fi laptop.  Would the desktop be interfering with the rest of my network here?  We get poor connections at times on Zoom and Teams meetings - no matter which device we use, and my wife and daughter complain about outages when they are on their laptops.