Ports blocked

41rumble
Level 2

I have a TP-Link with

firmware 1.0.11 Build 20210730 rel.54485(4555)

Hardware Archer AX50 v1.0

And can't open any ports with the "NAT Forwarding" "Virtual Servers" ... I have tried using the ports between 30000 and 40000 but they are also blocked

I am on a line of sight wireless installation, previously, I was able to open ports, with another ISP...
other changes that have been made were shifting the port I was plugged the ethernet into on the NBN modem, from the 1st to the 2nd port/input

I have noticed that if I turn on remote management on the tp Link, I get this error when trying to connect to the port I have it set to ... which is port 8448 so it does not interfere with opening port 80

"Rejected request from RFC1918 IP to public server address" ... when trying from the local network ... when using my phone to try that I do get through to the management page.

I have truned off the firewall on the TP-Link, still no change ....

It feels mostly like the tp-link is the issue ???

cheers

Brett

6 REPLIES 6
Shane

Hi @41rumble,

To better understand the situation, please confirm what you wish to accomplish with the network also shoot us a PM with your details so we can perform initial tests.

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

I have a TP-Link with

firmware 1.0.11 Build 20210730 rel.54485(4555)

Hardware Archer AX50 v1.0

And can't open any ports with the "NAT Forwarding" "Virtual Servers" ... I have tried using the ports between 30000 and 40000 but they are also blocked

I am on a line of sight wireless installation, previously, I was able to open ports, with another ISP...
other changes that have been made were shifting the port I was plugged the ethernet into on the NBN modem, from the 1st to the 2nd port/input

I have noticed that if I turn on remote management on the tp Link, I get this error when trying to connect to the port I have it set to ... which is port 8448 so it does not interfere with opening port 80

"Rejected request from RFC1918 IP to public server address" ... when trying from the local network ... when using my phone to try that I do get through to the management page.

I have truned off the firewall on the TP-Link, still no change ....

It feels mostly like the tp-link is the issue ???

cheers

Brett

41rumble
Level 2

Hey There,

I am trying to open some ports, port 80 for example. And not a single one will open, unless I have the "Remote Management" on in my router. Then the Remote Management port will open, but no others.... I don't want the remote mangement working, I was just trying it while testing.

I have just reset the router to factory, and I am getting the same results.... if I scan the ports from this site

https://www.ipfingerprints.com/portscan.php

I just get the answer that all ports are "filtered", and not reachable, and if I turn on Remote Management again, those ports are "open" according to ipfingerprints...

If I turn off Remote Management, and open those ports with Nat Forwarding ... ipfingerprints says they are "Filtered" and not available.

So the only ports I can open are the ones I set in Remote management ????

david64
Level 15

Hi @41rumble . If you are on 4G/5G home wireless broadband, port forwarding doesn't work because of CGNAT. 

Presumably you are on NBN fixed wireless. 

If you are running a server computer, it should have a reserved ip address in the local network so the rule can always find it. Allow both protocols.

You can check that your wan ip address matches the router's address. Go to whatismyip.com.

Have you used a port checking tool on the internet to check the port is open?

You can set up Dynamic DNS to handle changes to your wan ip address.

41rumble
Level 2

Hi David,

Yes Fixed Wireless.

I am using no-ip for the dynamic ip, and when I ping it by dns name it returns the correct WAN ip that is on the router ...

and yes the router ip is the same as what's my Ip

entering the dns name, or the ip returns the same results ... and yes I have used https://www.ipfingerprints.com/portscan.php to determine the state of the ports, using both the dns name, and the ip I get the same results, "Filtered" and not available...

Yet the remote management port works when I turn it on, no matter what I set it to ??

david64
Level 15

@41rumble . Can you check that the server computer has the ports open?

netstat -an

Is the tcp and/or udp port number in listening state?

Do you have another computer apart from server computer? 

Use   telnet   command to server's local adrress and port number. You should get a blank window indicating a connection to the server. Doesn't make use of forwarding rule.

41rumble
Level 2

sorry.... embarrasingly, it was a vpn I was connecting to, that was causing the issue ... turn it off, and everything acts like it should.

While I could reach the machine locally, it had issues with NAT as it was also connected to a VPN, so I guess something was getting messed up with the server having more than 1 ip ???

I will dig into that further.

cheers

Brett