TPG Community

Get online support

Provide my own NBN connection box/FTTC

erika222
Level 2

Hello.

Considering the delays for NBN, could I purchase an NBN connection box (example attached) second hand or ebay and connect my TPG modem to it? I'm working and studying from home chewing up my phone data. 

Will it be compatible? nbn box.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
skcusime
Level 3

The NBN connection boxes for a FTTC connection are interchangeable, so you could conceivably buy one on eBay. However, it needs to be provisioned at the "other end" for it to work, and you need to have a compatible router and the know-how to set it up. There should be no delays in installing FTTC due to a shortage of components.

Riezl

HI @erika222, we don't recommend that you buy an NTD online for your NBN HFC service as there's no guarantee that it will work or NBN Co. will allow it to be linked to your address.

At this point, our Provisioning Team is still coordinating the matter with NBN Co. We have made a follow up and the Case Manager will contact you once a new update is received.

erika222
Level 2

Okay. If it works though do I just continue using it?

Riezl

Please be advised that every NTD is configured by NBN Co. to work on a specific address, thus we are currently working on sending you one. Our Provisioning Team is monitoring your account and will contact you for any additional update. 

skcusime
Level 3

I bought a "spare" on eBay for $50 and it works fine. Just plug it in. This is an NCD for FTTC, not sure about other NBN connections.