Slow NBN Speeds

keats55
Level 2

Recently upgraded to NBN 25 but have seen little increase in speeds.  If I do a Speed Test first thing I get between 20 - 24, but speeds usually drop to the 2 - 5 range quickly. My set up is, I use a desktop about 8 meters from the WiFi router ( Netcomm N300 which I have had for 4 years since since NBN changeover ) and connect with a TP-Link Wireless N USB Adapter (300Mbps).  I am unable connect the desktop to the Netcomm N300 directly as i don't have a long enough Ethernet cable. Can you please check from your end and provide me with some advice. Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Shane

Hi @keats55 ,

Thanks for raising this to us. Based on your given information, the speed issue is caused by Wireless interference. Devices connected by Wi-Fi may experience slower speeds than those connected by Ethernet cable and the distance of the device(s) from the router is also one of the factor can cause speed issues.

If you wish to get the actual speed of the service, I recommend to perform a speed test using a laptop while it's connected via LAN/Ethernet cable if you do not have an available device for testing purposes, we did an article that you may find helpful.

These articles will guide you on how to improve the wireless connection at home. Please see links below.

In the event that you wish to maximize the actual speed of the service your desktop, the only way is to get a long Ethernet/LAN cable that will reach the computer from where the modem / router is located.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Regards,