TPG Community

Get online support

Why do I need to be home for a NBN Installation with TPG?

tric1960
Level 2

i have an ADSL 2 service with TPG. i have asked to be upgraded to the NBN. they sent me the modem and FTTC box and booked an appoimnment for the tech. Why do i need a tech? I have a workmate who lives in the same street, same scenario, he just hooked up his boxes and was all good, no one needed to be home. my lines were inspected months ago by Telstra to make sure they were OK for the NBN up grade.. I don't want to have to take the morning off work for something i can plug and play myself.

4 REPLIES 4
Riezl

Hi @tric1960,

Welcome to TPG Community!

Soon all of Australia will be connected to the NBN and while in many cases there are smooth transitions, there are also cases that additional work is required and a technician will be scheduled to install the service.

Your address is under NBN Service Class 32, wherein a technician will need to connect the line at the pit or pole, where the Distribution Point Unit (DPU) is installed. The DPU is a small node where the fibre optic cable from the NBN Fibre exchange is connected.

The technician will need to have an access to your premises to trace the line and to check if the line is properly connected to avoid installation delay.

We believe that you have already been advised regarding the installation date as you have been in touch with our Provisioning Team.

Should you have further queries, please let us know.

tric1960
Level 2

I realise that the technician will need to access the pit, I think I even mentioned that in my initial post. What no one seems to want to tell me, is why exactly the technician needs me to be home? I currently have ADSL 2 with TPG at the moment, which uses the copper twisted pair from the pit. As I can only get FTTN and not FTTH, I will still be using the exact same copper twisted pair, which again, is perfectly serviceable, otherwise I wouldn't be writing this post via my ADSL2 TPG account. No one can tell me why I need to be home. The telecom box on the side of my house is accessable, so once he connects the Optics to my copper cable, he can go to this box and make sure there is a good signal between the pit and my house. Everything after that box is my responsibility anyway, so even if it didn't work I would have to replace the wire from the box to my wall socket. I have come to the conclusion that i am going to lose a days rec leave because of some policy that you all follow but you don't know why. I'll probably come across as a whinging old bugger, but following procedure because it is procedure and not because there is a justifiable reason just wastes everyones time.

Shane

Hi @tric1960,

You need to be at home as the technician will need to connect the line at the pit or pole, where the Distribution Point Unit (DPU) is installed. The DPU is a small node where the fibre optic cable from the NBN Fibre exchange is connected.

Also, The technician will need to have an access to your premises to trace the line and to check if the line is properly connected to make sure that the service will work on the day of the installation.

I don’t have any further updates differing from what has already been communicated to you. Your experience is important to us and our provisioning team will provide you further details.

orbistat
Level 8

Hi @tric1960 The type of service you will be using (FTTC) requires power to be supplied from the NTD in the subscribers premises back along the same lead in 4wire cable that goes back to the pit, this power supplies the DPU which lives in the pit and converts the signal from fibre to copper. It wouldn't be able to be tested and signed off on without it being completely connected into the premises. Hope this helps answer your concern.