Wifi coverage

Winpooh811
Level 3
Hi TPG,

I live in a 2 storey townhouse and got my NBN installed upstairs in my study room and I find the coverage for downstairs is very weak and it often drops out. I noticed that there are two settings for the internet connection one is 2.4GHz and the other one is 5GHz. Which one is better to use? Do I need to get a wifi range extender? I did a speed test downstairs and it's so bad I only get around 4mbps download speed but when I am upstairs I get around 30 ish to 40 ish mbps.

Would you be able to give me some advice on how to improve the coverage?

Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3
BasilDV

Hi @Winpooh811 

Welcome to TPG Community!

We've created an article to guide you on how to improve your WiFi connection at home. Refer to this link.

The 2.4GHz has a wider range, but is prone to signal interference. While the 5GHz has a shorter range, but has less signal interference which may provide you a better speed and stable connection.

In order to boost your WiFi connection, you need to get an extender or a mesh network to cover the whole house.

Regards,

BasilDV

Winpooh811
Level 3
Thank you for your information. Just one question, if I need to get a wifi range extender which one would you recommend? How powerful a wifi range extender do I need for a two storey two bedroom townhouse? There are various brands please help me to choose the appropriate one thanks heaps.
Shane

Hi @Winpooh811,

You may use any brand of Wi-Fi extender and check the reviews.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Cheers!