This afternoon I've spent around 40 minutes on the phone trying to understand the process and timing of what I need to do to cancel my mobile phone service.
Initially I was told they would have someone call me within 24 to 48 hours. I insisted I would wait on the phone to get the information required because I've had problems in the last two weeks obtaining the correct information about cancelling my internet service. In fact I thought I had notified tpg on 19 March that I wanted my internet service cancelled only to find out last night that there was no record of me requesting such cancellation and that I was required to give 30 days notice to cancel an internet service.
Here's my understanding of what tpg's Maine agreed with me today:
1. At my request, my mobile service will be cancelled from 25 April which is the end of my billing period
2. Maine has requested that my credit card not be charged on 19 April for the billing period 26 April to 25 May. Seems odd to me that if I cancel from 25 April they would need a special request not to charge for a period beyond the cancel date. I'm sceptical this will occur as promised. I had problems with car insurance being charged despite assurances it wouldn't.
3. Tpg charges $11 to port my current number to the new provider. I mentioned that others on the forum had had this $11 porting charge waived. After many many years with tpg Iinternet and mobile phone I said I expected this charge to be waived
4. The current number must be ported while my tpg account is active, so before the cancellation date. Maine recommended asking the new provider to start the number porting process 1 week before the cancellation date. This means 19 April. Once the current number is ported my tpg account is cancelled. My new provider says it takes them about 4 hours. So you lose the last week of the tpg service that you've paid for.
The new provider will need your customer I'd. My customer Id is 7 digits. It is specified at the top of your mobile accounts details in your tpg account.
5. Maine said once the account is cancelled the prepayment balance "expires. She said you then have to request a refund of the prepayment balance. Mine is $19.98.
Given the confusion experienced with cancelling my internet service, I'll call tpg again next week to confirm the above especially that my credit card will not be charge on 19 April.
I'd really appreciate a moderator confirming the above or correcting any misunderstanding from my side.
Thanks for any advice.
Welcome to TPG Community!
To confirm your Mobile cancellation query:
1. Yes, your TPG mobile account will be canceled at the end of your billing cycle.
2. Since TPG is a prepaid service. We bill our customers 7 days before the billing cycle ends as part of our system's billing automation. Which is why they need to request to set your credit card as "By permission" to avoid further charges.
3. I can confirm that our staff "Maine" has requested for the $11 porting fee to be waived.
4. Sometimes, porting a number may take a few hours to a week, depends if there's any issues that will encounter while in the process. To make sure that the downtime is lessened, we advise our customers to process it a week in advance.
5. Once the account is canceled, the remaining prepayment can be requested to be refunded to your account.
Now, for the ADSL2+ service cancellation, we do require a 30 days notice for it to be processed.
For the security of the account and to confirm that the request is from the owner of the account, we need to arrange a call from our Accounts team to discuss this further and to finalise the termination of your account.
Please shoot me a private message with your preferred time and best number to be contacted.
How to send a PM? Click here.
My apologies, @Edith.
When I was looking at the account earlier the account was still active, however, it seems that it's already canceled today.
A notification email was sent to you confirming the request.
No need for another phone call from our Accounts team.
We wish you all the best with your new provider and hope that you will consider TPG again in the future we would welcome the opportunity to turn your experience around.
Re below, I'd appreciate confirmation that:
2. "The request to set your credit card as "By permission" to avoid further charges." has been implemented and that my card will not be charged without my permission
3. The $11 porting charge has been waived
Thanks very much for your help.