TPG Community

Get online support

SIM replacement challenges

Umack
Level 4

II've had an interesting experience with the validation process involved in getting a replacement SIM for a friend, which is worth sharing because it uncovers a major flaw in the process.

Anyway, the story:

I have a good friend that leans on me whenever their are any technology related issues. She went overseas recently, got a local SIM and put her australian SIM in a safe place. When she got back to Australia she had lost the SIM, so I contacted TPG mobile support on her behalf to get a replacement SIM.
Everything went fine, we provided the drivers license details etc and were told the SIM would be on the way. Great.

A day later I got an SMS message (I'd given my mobile number as a contact) that further validation was needed, with a link to a vodafone ID validation process. (tpgtelecom.com.au, but Vodafone splash screen). I ignored it because we'd done the validation already. Turns out ignoring the SMS text wasn't smart. I rang mobile support today to find out why the SIM hadn't arrived and found out you HAVE to complete  the additional the ID validation process.

Okay, I was sent a new SMS text with the validation URL, but when I clicked on it, it wouldn't open on my iPhone 12 (supplied by Vodafone!). So I copied the URL to an email so I could open it on my PC. Found out the link would only work on a mobile device. Luckily my iPad is linked to the iPhone, and when I clicked on the link on the iPad, I got the ID verification page. Once my friend comes over AGAIN, to complete the verification process, we'll hopefully finally get a replacement SIM.

Please take note that I had already been told a SIM would be on the way. Was that a communication issue inside TPG support, or is it a victim of the slow integration between TPG and Vodafone?

Regardless, if a customer has a damaged SIM and their mobile device obviously doesn't work and if they don't have access to someone else OR their friend's mobile device doesn't open the validation app, what then? They're screwed because TPG haven't thought about that scenario.

I'm 100% in favour of enhanced security, but what happens when a customer doesn't have easy access to another device that works?

In my case I got my friend an ALDI prepaid SIM so she's got a phone that works while I sort out the TPG process. It's been a bit of a nightmare, particulalrly when I was on hold with Blue Man group music :-( (I quite like them, but over and over and over again?)

6 REPLIES 6
BasilDV

Hi @Umack 

We'd like to have a better understanding of the situation.

Kindly send us a private message with your account details.

BasilDV

Umack
Level 4

Hi Basil,

I'm not sure what else I can add except my friends mobile number and name, which would probably be inappropriate. The point I was trying to make is simple:

Your SIM is damaged, your phone is your only device for internet access etc and you don't have easy access to some else's smart device.
In my case the alternative smart device was an iPhone 12 mini, where the validation URL resulted in a blank page. But for the fact that my iPad was copied SMS traffic, we would have been screwed at that point.

So my question was what process does TPG have to send a replacement SIM card IF the customer doesn't have access to a device that can run the validation app? Did I mention that the first thing support wanted to do was send an SMS to my friends mobile phone despite the fact that it's kind of not working with no SIM for that number.
In my opinion the validation process is flawed and needs reviewing. Is that clear enough?

BasilDV

Thank you for your feedback @Umack 

This will be forwarded to our Security team and will be assessed internally.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

BasilDV

Umack
Level 4

Hi Basil,

The replacement SIM arrived today (finally) and my friend came over and I put the SI<M in her phone.
This should be simple, but we had to contact support for the activation because the phone can't receive an SMS 2FA because the SIM isn't working.

Contacted mobile support, told them we wanted to activate the SIM, and support wanted to send an SMS 2FA to the number (non-activated SIM in phone) to verify we were who we were. No SMS 2FA, no go and I ended up asking the support person HOW can this possibly work with an non-activated SIM. I think that challenged her too much and she hung up. Called again, got a different person, same issue.
We got sent an email with the on-line activation procedure. Log on to My Account, which wants to use SMS 2FA (to the non-working phone, SIM not activated) to verify the login.

So we're basuically stuck at the moment. If you've heard of Catch 22, that's where we are. We need SMS 2FA to activate the SIM, except 2FA won't work because the SIM isn't activated.
Surely there is someone at TPG that has thought about this scenario and is able to come up with an alternative process that works?

Regards,

Rick

Umack
Level 4

If only TPG had another 2FA method like an emailed code as an alternative to SMS 2FA, that would provide a work-around for the scenario where a mobile phone couldn't receive an SMS 2FA because the SIM wasn't activated.

How about it TPG?

Angeli

Hi @Umack

Send us a private message with your TPG mobile number and we'll help you with the SIM activation. 

How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards, 

Angeli