Ransomware

javs
Level 2
I have been receiving threatening emails claiming to have access to my account and contacts.
Below is a copy.
How serious is it?
I'm not going to pay anything. What do you suggest.

Many thanks.

Look at the sender adress of this email ( From: ).

I sent this email from your account, I got full access to it and also your computer, even your webcam and microphone.
Few months ago you got automaticly infected with my malware, RAT ( Remote Administration Tool ), because your browser wasn't patched to that time when visited some website where my iframe was placed wich redirected to my exploitpack (drive-by-exploit) in the background.

Since then I collected all your private stuff, I even made some videos from you over your webcam and I think we both know, that if everyone else would see all that, your life would be simply hell!

I got absolutly all your contacts, your account on social network and so on...

To publish all I got from you would take me 5 minutes!

You know exactly about the very bad stuff and everything else you got on your computer!!!

I give you the chance to stop me from doing this!

Send me exactly 900$ in bitcoin ( BTC ).
If you don't know how and where to buy the bitcoins,

After that I will remove everything and we forget about everything - I promise!

I give you 3 days to get the bitcoins and pay me.

That all isn't a joke, like I wrote above, look at the sender adress of this email, it is your email and I sent it from your email account, because I got access to everything from you!
2 REPLIES 2
Riezl

Hi @javs,

Welcome to TPG Community!

This appears to be a phishing email and we'd like to further look into this.

We have located an account using your community details, but we'd like to make sure that we got the right one.

Please PM us your TPG customer ID, username and email address so we can pull up the account.

Please also PM us the email header.

To send a PM, please refer to this link: How do I private message (PM) in the community - TPG Community

We'll wait for your details. Thank you.

Riezl

Hi @javs, thanks for your PM.

It appears that your address has been misused, or "spoofed", by a spammer or that your computer is infected by virus.

This means that the spammer is pretending to be you by making their messages look as if it comes from your email or website address.

We advise that you run a full system scan on all of your computers and change your TPG password.

Also, it is good to know what sites or Internet Activities to stay away from so your email address would not be snatched by spammers.

Please send us a copy of the bounce email with full headers to help us investigate the issue further.

Here is how to get the headers :

* If you are using Microsoft Outlook Express, you can open the original email, click on “File”, “Properties”, “Details”. Just copy and send us this information.
* If you are using Microsoft Outlook, open the actual message, click on “View”, “Options” and send us the contents of “Internet Headers”.
* For other popular types of mail clients follow this link -- http://www.claws-and-paws.com/spam-l/tracking.html#headers

We will wait for your PM. Thank you.